can no longer access network folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all. I will try to explain this as best as possible.

I have a bunch of computers on my network, many of them sharing files with Samba (SMB). I have all my audio files on an older Linux machine which iTunes accesses of the network. Everything was just fine until a few days ago. In the finder: I go to Network -> ME (the server's name) -> public, but nothing appears in the public folder. However, I am able to access this folder just fine from other computers. Here is the weird thing, it appears in the finder like a folder that has disappeared. Normally, the icon for individual folder shares (inside the folder for each computer) is the network icon. However, when I remove a share from the host, it turns into a folder icon on my Mac. For some reason, the public folder turned into a folder as well, even though it is still available. Here is a screenshot showing the Finder in three different network paths:

http://andrewhitchcock.org/networkproblem.png

As you can see, the folder titled 'ME' shows a folder, while 'Gandalf' shows the network icon. The folder 'P4' shows both folders and network icons (because some of the shares have been deleted). If I mount the folder through the Finder's Go->Connect to server and type in the IP address, it will work just fine (mounting it to the desktop). However, since my iTunes playlist doesn't point to the desktop mounted drive, it still doesn't work with iTunes.

So here is my question: how can I get the computer to recognize the folder is active? Is there any way to refresh all the network drives/shares?

Thanks for the help,

Andrew

PS: Sorry if there any spelling/grammar mistakes, I am kind of tired and I am having trouble concentrating. Also, I have one idea to try, but I have to coordinate it with my brother (turn off Samba on the servers and shut down all Windows machines (to hopefully flush out the cache)). I'll keep you posted if that works.