Go!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone else play this game?

I love chess too, but I think go is better than chess in several ways - simpler rules, better balance between strategy and tactics, more flexible with varying board sizes, and an effective handicapping system. It's a very analytical game, but also very visual and can be played more on feel than chess, IMO.

It's been featured in movies like Pi, and for the most part has a kind of quirky intellectual reputation in the US, but is a mainstream and extremely popular game in Japan.

I learned in high school, and haven't played with a real person in several years but have started thinking about it again because the computer programs have gotten a lot better in recent years. A few years ago, they were basically unplayable. Very very stupid. Now, at least for an average player, they'll give you a pretty good game. Still nowhere near as good as chess programs, but decent. Here's the software I use on OS X. It's free, Cocoa, and uses GNU Go, which has gotten a lot stronger in the past year, even in the past couple of months. You can also play over at Yahoo games, but the level of competition is extremely unreliable.

Here's a brief introduction to the game.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I always wanted to play it, isn't it what inspired Nolan Bushnell (of Atari fame)?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't know. But I noticed you're in Atlanta - I lived there in the early 90s when I was playing a lot, and I met with a group at Georgia Tech every week and played go. Man I was a ****in geek. I worked at Software Etc. in Lennox Mall and had Chick-fil-a for lunch in the food court every day and played go on Thursdays. The go group was entirely composed of old Korean guys and hippies. I wonder if they still meet.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The software store is now a computer game store, Lenox had a big spiff-up in the late 90's and there's always some kind of geeky gaming going on at GaTech. When I was there it was the Chinese guys down in the game room at the Student Center ruling over those weird pool tables with the stobs sticking up (is that Billiards?). Those guys were MACHINES, they knew every angle on the table.

Oh yeah, Georgia Tech jumped across the I-75/i-85 connector. There's a huge new development called Technology Square. I was there today buying the book "Eric Meyers On CSS". Best day to go is Sunday afternoon, parking outside the Barnes & Noble is plentiful (but it's metered).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Aren't there plenty of online go games? I used to work with a guy that used to play 10 minute go games online.