New Folder's Preferences

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey All,

Is there any way to have OS X Panther remember how I like my windows customized when I create a new folder? Currently I have to change views and resize the new window everytime. It remembers my preferences thereafter which is great but can anyone provide a tip for me?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    well, you can click the all windows widget in the view options window, cuztomize it the way you like, so then when u create a new folder, you just click the all windows widget, and there you go
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Yes, you would think this is what they intended but everytime I create a new folder, customize it, then click "all windows" inside "show view options" it has varying effects on the next new folder created. I've tried every sequence order of button pushing but the results are the same.

If I trash the "untitled folder" I just customized and then create a new one it remembers my settings. But if I create a second one before trashing the first so my desktop shows another named "untitled folder 2" it does not take the settings. Further, if I rename the "untitled folder" and then create another one named "untitled folder" it does not take the settings. This last scenario is the real-world one and there are no preferences being saved, big pain.

For the record I'm trying to always have view "as List", hiding the folders on the left side, with size before date modified as my only two attributes. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    i don't know what to say man, maybe you should click the all windows first, then customize it, so that way it saves those settings for the all windows instead of having 'this window' selected and customizing it and then going to all windows where it switches the settings to the ones you already had set for all windows
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wow, does that even make sense???
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yes, it makes sense. That's what I meant by trying every sequence order, I've tried all kinds of combinations. Doesn't take my settings.

This is the kind of stuff I used to laugh at Windoze for so I hope they get back to basics here real soon. Thanks for chatting.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    The Finder sucks. It can't remember anything. The Mac's quintessential application and Apple continues to **** it up.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I said earlier my settings are saved thereafter (but not new folders) however this is not true. From time to time I open my "applications" folder and it's gone back to default view.

I think Apple better start fixing this stuff before another iapp. Strike that, what do they need professional power users for anymore anyways.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobbymac333

I said earlier my settings are saved thereafter (but not new folders) however this is not true. From time to time I open my "applications" folder and it's gone back to default view.

I think Apple better start fixing this stuff before another iapp. Strike that, what do they need professional power users for anymore anyways.

No I don't think you get it. In Apple's eyes "Power Users" spend their time in the CLI and have no use for the GUI. For the rest of us, we should be lucky that it's brushed metal now. Look Ma, I make the Finder craptastic.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Okay, here's what I've been able to determine about the sidebar-width issue.

Close *ALL* your Finder windows.

Open *one*.

Set the sidebar to what you want.

Close it.

Open another one. It should be set to what you expect.

Now, if you open several, and change *one* window to something else, then open a new one... well, it seems to be tied to whichever Finder window you had on top at the time - it replicates the sidebar-width.

I *love* the icon-only sidebar size - but you lose the ability to eject removable media or servers without sliding it open a bit. Drag the icon off and let it go poof? Nuh-uh, it's an alias list, like the Dock, not the actual items. Go to Computer in the Go menu, and you'll see the volumes still mounted. Ctrl-click does *not* pop up a contextual menu on sidebar items, which is unfortunate. Feedback has been sent.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Okay, here's what I've been able to determine about the sidebar-width issue.

Close *ALL* your Finder windows.

Open *one*.

Set the sidebar to what you want.

Close it.

Open another one. It should be set to what you expect.

Now, if you open several, and change *one* window to something else, then open a new one... well, it seems to be tied to whichever Finder window you had on top at the time - it replicates the sidebar-width.

I *love* the icon-only sidebar size - but you lose the ability to eject removable media or servers without sliding it open a bit. Drag the icon off and let it go poof? Nuh-uh, it's an alias list, like the Dock, not the actual items. Go to Computer in the Go menu, and you'll see the volumes still mounted. Ctrl-click does *not* pop up a contextual menu on sidebar items, which is unfortunate. Feedback has been sent.

thanks, that helps alot