OS-X 10.3 bits stuffed into OS-X 10.1: Can it be done ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am stuck with an underpower imac G3 with about about 190 megs of ram ( sorry I can't remember exactly ).

However it is running OS-X 10.1 quite well.

My question is this, Seeing that I have Panther on disk are there any bits of software & functionalities that I can transfer from 10.3 to use on this olde imac( with its limited ram and keeping the OS-10.1 in place.) ?

Or could I even manage to run Panther ?

Ps: I also have Jaguar 10.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I dont know about running 10.3 code on 10.1, Im pretty sure thats not the answer but one the bright side...

Panther will work on your mac. Not only that but I imagine it will give a good performance increase too. Installing Panther on my ibook 600 gave it a new lease on life and I endorse it whole hardedly. If its possible and you plan on using this computer regularly you should definately put in the maximium amount of RAM (a fairly cheap upgrade if you DIY).

Install Panther ! another option, if you dont have a valid license for Panther is to install linux, its free dont you know...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I've got the feeling though he's running a 200Mhz, or 233Mhz G3? You could install it, it'll be alot faster than 10.1. But you can't expect great performance in X under a low Mhz G3, but you've already experienced X on it so it probably won't be too bad.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I've got the feeling though he's running a 200Mhz, or 233Mhz G3? You could install it, it'll be alot faster than 10.1. But you can't expect great performance in X under a low Mhz G3, but you've already experienced X on it so it probably won't be too bad.

Its a 350Mhz slot loader ( no firewire )

My panther copy is strictly legitimate.

I am suprised to hear you say it will run on such an olde machine.

Is Panther really possible with this machine ?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    see for yourself...

Panther System Requirements

Before buying Panther I checked AI to see what other people were saying about running Panther on older hardware, everybody said it ran great. So I bought Panther and guess what, it ran great !
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

see for yourself...

Panther System Requirements

Before buying Panther I checked AI to see what other people were saying about running Panther on older hardware, everybody said it ran great. So I bought Panther and guess what, it ran great !

I so LURRV Apple.....
  • Reply 6 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I have a Rev. A iMac (233) and a Rev. A iBook (300) both running like champs on 10.3.2 with 288MB ram...

your iMac (with a whopping 8MB VRAM!!! ) will be fine

just turn off dock bouncing and you are set.

<www.unsanity.com> and shadowkiller isn't a bad idea either.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I have a Rev. A iMac (233) and a Rev. A iBook (300) both running like champs on 10.3.2 with 288MB ram...

your iMac (with a whopping 8MB VRAM!!! ) will be fine

just turn off dock bouncing and you are set.

<www.unsanity.com> and shadowkiller isn't a bad idea either.

Great tips Paul.

I owe you guys a beer..
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Why are you still running 10.1?

Are you a part of that OS X uptime contest? (I think the leader has the OS X Developer Preview running).

Going from 10.1 to to 10.3 would be like going from DOS to Windows.

(wait..bad analogy).
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Its a 350Mhz slot loader ( no firewire )

My panther copy is strictly legitimate.

I am suprised to hear you say it will run on such an olde machine.

Is Panther really possible with this machine ?

It will run, my mother runs panther on a 350mhz blue imac, i also have it running on a 300mhz Tang ibook with 160Mb of ram and 3gb hd.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

....................No problems other than Photoshop is barely usable and Fireworks just too slow to bother with.

Hey Sedgey,

Happy new year, old son.

Re the Shadows* :

I hate the shadow look anyway, so I will use shadowkiller for sure, especially if it rockets things along.

Second point & I know it is a tad off topic, but photoshop is giving me the pips too. ( price hikes are outrageous ) .

That is why I am seriously considering GIMP.

* Shadows ( the band ) are pretty cool though.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Hank could be a Jo~Hove~er.

But what I do know is the Shadows are just special..

Incidentally,

just bought the Shadows "Guitar " album for $10. Listening to it on my olde mac as I am writing..

Aqua.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

How's the Panther install going ?

Installed beautifully. It is purring like a kitten Sedge.

And wow...have I noticed a pick up in speed over 10.1 !

Truly amazing.

Aqua
  • Reply 13 of 20
    another panther convert
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

another panther convert

8)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Aquafire...what happened?

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire in December in another thread

I still love my olde LC-475 ( running OS-8 ) Get loads of work done on it.

The only annoying thing about it is that if I had to rely on it "dying" before buying a new Mac.. I guess I'd be waiting so long into the future that Apple will have come out with a G-10.

Whatever happened to "used by dates " for old Macs ?

LC-475...die damm it...!!!!! die...

Did it die? Was Murbot flogging some of his old stock? Was Santa handing out ancient G3s to replace even older LC-475s?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Aquafire...what happened?

Did it die? Was Murbot flogging some of his old stock? Was Santa handing out ancient G3s to replace even older LC-475s?

It died by drowning.

Had a massive flood in my studio. ( ruptured mains water pipe ).

I literally had only seconds to choose what had to be grabbed first and then second and third and so on down the line.

My Lc-475 and a bloody good stereo didn't make it out the door in time.

The fire department guys took about 2 hours to pump my studio clear of water...

That night I posted that somewhat tipsy thingy about Jonathan's avatar.

He could have cut my balls off for all I cared....

If i'd have found away, I would have moved heaven and earth to put Panther into her workings, there was so much life in that old girl.

I'll miss her warm fuzzy glow of electrons..

sob...

• Reply 17 of 20
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

It died by drowning.

Had a massive flood in my studio. ( ruptured mains water pipe ).

I literally had only seconds to choose what had to be grabbed first and then second and third and so on down the line.

My Lc-475 and a bloody good stereo didn't make it out the door in time.

The fire department guys took about 2 hours to pump my studio clear of water...

That night I posted that somewhat tipsy thingy about Jonathan's avatar.

He could have cut my balls off for all I cared....

If i'd have found away, I would have moved heaven and earth to put Panther into her workings, there was so much life in that old girl.

I'll miss her warm fuzzy glow of electrons..

sob...

My sympathies. As I indicated in another December thread (a thread that I started and that was actually inspired by the one I from which I quoted your comment about your "olde LC-475"), I have a thing for legacy machines. Notwithstanding that a few online here at AO have occasionally posted from older computers than your former LC, I think that yours was the oldest that anyone here used 'day in, day out'. I am sorry to see it go.

I hope that you did not lose too much else of value.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Not that this compares even slightly to your loss... but I had to leave behind an LC II a couple of years ago when I left the states, used to use it for playing dark castle and shufflepuck cafe, two of my favourite games (especially shufflepuck cafe).

Anyhow, glad to hear you like Panther.

Cheers
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

My sympathies. As I indicated in another December thread (a thread that I started and that was actually inspired by the one I from which I quoted your comment about your "olde LC-475"), I have a thing for legacy machines. Notwithstanding that a few online here at AO have occasionally posted from older computers than your former LC, I think that yours was the oldest that anyone here used 'day in, day out'. I am sorry to see it go.

I hope that you did not lose too much else of value.

Thanks for your sympathies Chinney.

I'm now living with a rather larger 1" diameter black plastic tube snaking its' way through my dank smelling studio to a first floor window. The ruptured water pipe has a huge stopper in it, but the water is still dribbling out.

My landlord said he'll get around to fixing it within the next three weeks..

I hope so.

As regards my posting with the olde girl, it was actually pretty fast at times. I could download a whole page in about 5 to 10 seconds..not bad for such an olde girl.

Thanks again

Aqua