What are the main differences between Garage Band and Soundtrack?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm curious - will the iLife '04 suite (with GB) eat into Soundtrack's revenues?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

I'm curious - will the iLife '04 suite (with GB) eat into Soundtrack's revenues?

I'm thinking that GarageBand is Soundtrack, just with a new name and some tweaks here and there.

Hence I can't see any reason Apple will lose money off Soundtrack.

GarageBand is a lot more high-exposure, so it should be a hit among many. m.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Soundtrack includes the ability to watch and loop your videos from FCP so that you can get the timing for the symbol crash just right.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Also, seems like Soundtrack comes with plenty more loops and instruments. More like GB + Jampack + FCP integration.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Right. Soundtrack has FCP integration, 4000 loops, no MIDI instruments or support.

Garageband has 1000 loops, 50 MIDI-enabled instruments, guitar pre-amp 'emulation', no FCP support. The expansion pack adds 2000 more loops and 100+ more instruments.

So, for half the cost ($49 + $99 vs $299) you lose Final Cut support and about 1000 loops, but add MIDI instruments and the guitar pre-amps. Fair trade for music enthusiasts vs. movie score creation.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    man, i would shure like some MIDI integration!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    /me thinks soundtrack will get a nice upgrade soon.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

man, i would shure like some MIDI integration!

Shure is more into the microphone business than MIDI.

http://www.shure.com/

• Reply 8 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

Shure is more into the microphone business than MIDI.

http://www.shure.com/

my inventive spelling has backfyred on me!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

I'm thinking that GarageBand is Soundtrack, just with a new name and some tweaks here and there.

Well, he *did* say they basically moved Soundtrack into GarageBand.

What I want to know is, when you peel away the karaoke, band-in-a-box stuff, what are we talking about here? Software capabilities? Tech specs?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    It looks like they just ripped out all the video-integration code, and replaced it with MIDI instrument code.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Wait a minute wait a minute waiti a minute.

DId I miss something here??

Wasn't that kid from England on stage recording his keyboard and piano solos with Steve?

The rest of the time, Steve was messing around, creating loops, when that kid was gone.

In my humble understanding, Garageband does two things: audio loop creation AND multi-track recording/processing. Soundtrack is just for loops only.

Which is why I'm salivating. My YAMAHA 4-track has bit the dust, and I want to record my band, and Cubase, Emagic, ProTools, and Deck was looking in the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

Wait a minute wait a minute waiti a minute.

DId I miss something here??

Wasn't that kid from England on stage recording his keyboard and piano solos with Steve?

The rest of the time, Steve was messing around, creating loops, when that kid was gone.

In my humble understanding, Garageband does two things: audio loop creation AND multi-track recording/processing. Soundtrack is just for loops only.

Which is why I'm salivating. My YAMAHA 4-track has bit the dust, and I want to record my band, and Cubase, Emagic, ProTools, and Deck was looking in the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you're right. GarageBand does loops, software instruments, and recording, everything to give your band that professional sound.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Nope, you're right. GarageBand does loops, software instruments, and recording, everything to give your band that professional sound.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

HOM - re: GB "giving your band that professional sound" - compared to a real DAW, that is quite a stretch, I'd say.

Nonetheless, GB does represent excellent value - especially when you consider how well it is integrated into iLife.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    hehehe

John Mayer...."that kid from England"

I think that for $299 Soundtrack will get ALL of the capabilities you see in Garageband...and then some. I'm learning Soundtrack this week to create some music to add to a project a colleague is making. It's is AMAZINGLY fun to work with, and it seems to have more controls than GB. Volume changes, panning....it just seems to have more fiddly bits.

Why would they make a consumer app more functional than the "prosumer" version? I don't think they would!

• Reply 15 of 17
    I went to the Soundtrack station at the Apple booth at the expo and asked the guy there what the diffs were. I was curious seeing I all ready use Soundtrack.

As mentioned before:

- Soundtrack can work with FCP and FCE as well as import QuickTime movies in DV, SD, and HD formats for scoring. GarageBand does not.

- Soundtrack has 4000 sound loops. Base GarageBand has 1000.

- GarageBand has MIDI instrument support Soundtrack does not.

Not mentioned before:

- Soundtrack has 30+ professional audio effects plug-ins from Apple and Emagic. GarageBand says it comes with 200 effects, but the list is about the same as that listed for the 30 found in Soundtrack.

- Soundtrack supports up to 126 simulations audio tracks. GarageBand only support 64 tracks. (This is what the guy at the Apple booth told me)

- Soundtrack comes with Loop Utility that lets you create your own custom AIFF and WAV loop files. GarageBand does not come with this utility (at least that's what the Apple guy thought)

I have a feeling that Apple will upgrade Soundtrack in the near future seeing as they list it is as a Pro App on the web site, and they have GrageBand under the Digital Hub section. I think that there are enough people out there who have purchased Soundtrack for $299 that Apple will want to keep this "higher" end market. Kind of like iMovie vs. Final Cut Express vs. Final Cut Pro. They could also move Soundtrack into the Application category and just have Logic Platinum as the Pro audio app.

Then again Final Cut Pro does come with Soundtrack bundled right now, as well as LiveType. This is almost more akin to a getting Adobe CS or Macromedia Studio MX where you get more than one of there products in the same box.

Being a Soundtrack user I just hope that they move the GrageBand features into Soundtrack and add some other goodies, or combined Soundtrack with Logic Platinum for a single high end audio app.

- G in the S
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

hehehe

John Mayer...."that kid from England"

Connecticut...England...what's the difference?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G in the S

Kind of like iMovie vs. Final Cut Express vs. Final Cut Pro. They could also move Soundtrack into the Application category and just have Logic Platinum as the Pro audio app.

You are forgetting about Logic Gold and Logic Audio.

GarageBand/Sountrack are miles behind the logic series. It's like jumping from a go-kart to a sports car.