iBook Questions from a Newbie

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All -

This is my first post on this forum :-)

I am a long-time mac user - had a Mac Plus in college and graduated to a PowerBook 140 (!) which I still have.

Two questions.

(1) Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch among open applications in OS9? I remember the original Switcher had this. And windows has it (Alt-Tab).

and,

(2) We bought an iBook a few months ago and the screen has bothered us from day 1. It just doesn't look sharp. And the screen resolutions available are either too small (highest resolution gives tiny text) or too big (the middle resolution). I even took my iBook to the Apple Store and compared mine to the demo units. They all looked the same so mine is not defective.

I have adjusted the gamma and color settings in the Monitors control panel and that helped a little.

There just seems to be a general haze over everything - almost as if there was protective film over the screen for shipping purposes. The PC laptops we have at work appear much more contrasty and sharp as well as offering more usable screen resolutions.

We *really* love the iBook and would like solutions to both of these issues.

- GregB

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: GregB ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    [quote] Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch among open applications in OS9? I remember the original Switcher had this. And windows has it (Alt-Tab). <hr></blockquote>

Command-Tab... you already found it... Alt = Command on a Mac... 9 x out of 10 PC commands are the same as they would be on a Mac but with that key swap.

I don't get your screen problem... My iBook screen is as sharp as anything I've seen out there... I've adjusted nothing from day 1 and it's fine. They don't ship with anything over the screen as far as I know so I can't say that's your problem.

Aside from going to the optometrist I'd say your iBook is fine.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've also had no problems with my iBook's screen. Perfect since day 1.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Thanx Mac Guru for the command-tab thing. It works ;-) I *really* thought I had tried that - maybe I did ctrl-tab - I dunno.

Thanx again.

For anyone else reading, we found that the default magnification in Appleworks is adjustable and the display text size in Explorer is adjustable. So we set so that text will display larger and be readable at the highest monitor setting.

I liked the iBook this way. My wife did not and she is the main user. So the iBook is now being run at the intermediate monitor setting :-(

- GregB
  • Reply 4 of 12
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    3 resolutions? I thought only two were available. Yep, just clicked on my monitor icon. Only 800x600 and 1024x768. Maybe it's an OsX vs. OS9 thing. Anyhow the display looks great. Hey MacGuru, I'm in San Antonio too!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Yea - I'm pretty sure our iBook has 3 resolutions available. I'm not at it now (its home - I'm at work) but will check this weekend.

- GregB
  • Reply 6 of 12
    the screen question is easy. if the iBook is set to natually be at 10x7, and you set it to 800x600, it will look fuzzy.

all LCD monitors have 1 "natural" setting. anything outside of that will looks blocky/fuzzy, as the display can't actually change the number of pixels. so you have a 10x7 display trying to display 800x600 through approximate guesses of what it would look like.

the only way to have a perfectly sharp picture on a laptop/lcd screen is to run it at its natural rez.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Alcimedes -

Is the natural rez the highest rez?

- GregB
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Yes, the native, or 'natural,' resolution will always be the highest. As was mentioned previously an LCD screen can simulate lower resolutions (albeit poorly) through pixel doubling, but it can't simulate a higher resolution. Thus, the highest will always be the native.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, the highest is always the natural. so when you said the highest was too small and you tried the others, that's basically the problem.

lcd's basically don't do multiple settings, at least not like a CRT. it's the one true drawback in my book. of course, i'll take that any day for a flicker free monitor.

• Reply 10 of 12
    Yup - our iBook (600mhz DVD/CDR small screen model) has three screen resolutions:

600x480, 800x600, 1024x768.

We are running OS9.

- GregB
  • Reply 11 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    OS X you can only select 800*600 and 1024*768. It WILL go to 640x480 but only if an application requests it (ie, games), it cannot be set manually (thank goodness).

I have the 14inch and at 800*600 everything is a big smudge... bleack
  • Reply 12 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    no, the ibook goes down to 640x480, but you have to enter the system preferences, and deselect the "recomended only" mode!