Moto Chip inside Mars Rover

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got this information from the Mars Rover press kit. Apparently the rovers are run by a PowerPC chip. Pretty neat. A shame it's not a G5.

"The computer in each Mars Exploration Rover runs with a 32-bit Rad 6000 microprocessor, a radiation-hardened version of the PowerPC chip used in some models of Macintosh computers, operating at a speed of 20 million instructions per second. Onboard memory includes 128 megabytes of random access memory, augmented by 256 megabytes of flash memory and smaller amounts of other non-volatile memory, which allows the system to retain data even without power."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    They don't have enough solar panels to run a G5.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    it's actually a derivative of the IBM RS/6000 running at 20 MHz.

PowerPC yes, but not made by Moto.

googled
  • Reply 3 of 6
    IBM beat MoTo to Mars...

Lookout MoTo you are getting

• Reply 4 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

IBM beat MoTo to Mars...

Lookout MoTo you are getting

True...moto got owned. But what do a few cars being flooded have to do with that? I think I fail to see the point here.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

True...moto got owned. But what do a few cars being flooded have to do with that? I think I fail to see the point here.

Jaws
  • Reply 6 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

it's actually a derivative of the IBM RS/6000 running at 20 MHz.

PowerPC yes, but not made by Moto.

googled

This chip works under extreme thermal conditions from -25 °c to 105 ° Celsius.

The next generation of these space chip will be based upon the good old G3 : PPC 750.