What happened to iPhoto 3?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What happened to iPhoto 3... in iLife '04 it's iPhoto 4 according to Steve and Apple's iPhoto page

"Whether you have twenty or twenty thousand digital photos, iPhoto 4 keeps track of them all, automatically organizing them so you can find them fast. Lightning fast. Easy to use, iPhoto puts you in charge of your photographs ? helping you import them, organize them into albums, enhance their appearance, as well as, share them in print, via email, over the web and in stunning coffee-table books."

Am I missing something... I know I only have iPhoto 2...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    They wanted to stress the "4" motif. It's 2004. All the other apps are up to 4. It just seemed "right," y'know?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    They just skipped it to bring it up to the same version as the rest of the new apps (4.x). iTunes was already 4.x, but the next logical bump for iMovie and iDVD were 4.0. It is kind of goofy though, considering GarageBand is 1.0.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    What I want to know is what happened to free downloads of iPhoto updates?

I don't use iMovie, iDVD or GarageBand. But Apple is forcing us to pay for the entire iLife suite this time in order to keep our iPhoto up to date.

iPhoto and iMovie used to be free downloadable updates. I can understand why iDVD wasn't a free download, being as big as it is. And sure, GarageBand is probably a hefty file size too (doesn't it also come on a DVD rather than a CD?). But why gouge loyal Mac users? All in the name of "The Digital Hub" I guess....

MacCube
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

But why gouge loyal Mac users?

What's your loyalty got to do with making money? The Dot.com bust basically proved you cannot make money if you don't charge enough to cover your expenses. It's business Natural Law. Yes it sucks but Apple hasn't stated anything about not updating iPhoto to help fix the current sluggishness.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Guys, honestly

do you think that iLife is not worth 50 bucks? especially now with garage band?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

They wanted to stress the "4" motif. It's 2004. All the other apps are up to 4. It just seemed "right," y'know?

That's what I thought but it is kind of weird... iLife is definitely worth more than $50
  • Reply 7 of 8
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I find the "4" designation very strange myself. iPhoto does get a few nice improvements, but I hardly think it is wonderful enough to skip a cycle. As stated prior, Garage Band will be only 1.0. If the point is to make special note of the 4 and 4.x, then why not make Garage Band a separate application. It has enough on its own to do very well as a new program. It seems the addition of this app to iLife is both to sweeten the pot and make paying for these i-apps less of a big deal. However, iDVD did not come with 10.3, but I got iPhoto (and iMovie, iTunes...but you get the idea...) from the new OS (Panther) installation. I'd like to hope that upgrades to the OS installed i-applications get a downloadable update on Apple.com come Jan 16th. I'm not holding my breath... NOTE!-> I am not saying these applications should be free or otherwise. Actually, if you follow my argument, I'd say these i-app came with the 10.3 OS which just cost me $129. Did we not just pay for these as part of Panther? Steve did not say anything about a change in the cost of these other applications, however he did not say anything about not paying for an upgrade either. Just a thought...

Of course, iLife is a steal. No one in their right mind can say $49 is a ripoff for so much in one set of applications. But this argument only holds water if a user wants all iLife has to offer. If one believes they just bought iPhoto as part of a new Mac or OS, I think we could have a third petition of users with a lawsuit. I'm kidding...kinda... :/

I do not mind anyone making money. Certainly, I do not mind my favorite company making as much money as possible. However, I do have a problem with paying for something twice, regardless of the amount. I'd say it is a matter of principle more than being over money.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

What happened to iPhoto 3...

It was Steved.