Apple Media

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why does Apple sell 4x Dvd-R media when the Super Drive only writes at maximum 2x speed. Is this for external third party Dvd burners? And their product description says that they are specially created for the Powermac G4, which doesn't have any special Superdrive in it, does it?

Here is a link to the media I am refering to, second from the top:

Apple Dvd Media

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Sh0e

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dunno about you, but my superdrive burns at 4x.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    My SuperDrive sure does burn at 4x... PowerBooks are 2x though
  • Reply 3 of 19
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Ahh that makes sense! Thanks so much, I just couldn't find the right stats for the drive. I kept finding the ones for the powerbook.

Sorry for the waste of space.

Do you think we will see a 4x PB SuperDrive with the next PB rev?

Sh0e
  • Reply 4 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah I just noticed today that they had stopped selling 2x DVD-Rs. That really sucks.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Well, they're apparently available on the regular apple store, but I was looking on the edu store. Their prices are about half of what they used to be, but they're only in the "Special Deals" section. Looks like they may be phasing out the 2x media.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I'm a little confused. I have an original flat screen 17 inch imac and afaik it has a 2x superdrive. I've been using 2x media with it, but if apple does indeed drop the 2x media can I still use 4x media with my drive?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    <Pulls out 50 odd Apple DVD-Rs from under desk>

2-speed DVD-R

When I bought my current set of Blank DVDs from the Apple store they gave me the option of getting 2x or 4x DVDs. But this was back in October so... Hey do you know that a Blank DVD-R looks really cool flying thru the air? I need to find a buyer around here to help me out.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Dogcow ..the answer would be YES you can
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

Dogcow ..the answer would be YES you can

You can, but it will only record at 1x.

Dogcow, you can buy someone else's DVDs too of course. Or you can do what I did - I just bought 15 packs of 2x DVDs from the apple store.

Oh, and the apple store guy I talked to said they were definitely going to be dropping 2x DVD-R media.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    man, is it just me or did they lower their prices a lot? $2 per 4x disc? that's a great deal.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Oh, and the apple store guy I talked to said they were definitely going to be dropping 2x DVD-R media.

That bites. Apple's DVD media is the most reliable I've found. I use it pretty much exclusively for archives.

*enters hoard mode*
  • Reply 12 of 19
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

man, is it just me or did they lower their prices a lot? $2 per 4x disc? that's a great deal.

Apple just dropped the prices on all their DVD media. They cut the prices by half on them all.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I find it very hard to believe they would phase out 2x speed DVD media. It simply doesn't make sense. That's like phasing out 700 MB CD-R discs, even though there's millions of CD burners out there.

Perhaps the DVD media will be repackaged, or they are in fact phasing out 2x speed SuperDrives, meaning new PowerBooks on the way... m.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    uh, guys.

4x media works just fine in 2x drives. what's the big deal? you can't buy 1x CDR's anymore either, or 2x, or even 4x for that matter.

the speed rating on media just means how fast they COULD be burned at, not how fast they have to be burned at. if you want to burn everything at 1x on 4x media, go ahead. now that the price on 4x has dropped, there's really no reason not to.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

uh, guys.

4x media works just fine in 2x drives. what's the big deal? you can't buy 1x CDR's anymore either, or 2x, or even 4x for that matter.

the speed rating on media just means how fast they COULD be burned at, not how fast they have to be burned at. if you want to burn everything at 1x on 4x media, go ahead. now that the price on 4x has dropped, there's really no reason not to.

From Apple's description of its 4x media:

Quote:

A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x media at 1x, so to obtain the highest performance from your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend that you continue using 2x DVD-R media just as you do today.

• Reply 16 of 19

ok, that's really stupid. anyone have a chance to check this out, see if it's true? i almost can't believe it unless i saw it in person. i hope they fix this when they come out with their new media.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    That sucks.

Could a firmware update to the superdrive let it burn 4x media at 2x?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

That sucks.

Could a firmware update to the superdrive let it burn 4x media at 2x?

I damn well hope so!

I've got a 15 inch iMac 800Mhz and only three 2x DVD-R's left!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow that bytes. Guess I'm down to the last 14 2x Apple DVD's I'll ever have. Well I think. I really need to label these suckers, cuz I have a total of fifty around here, and I know I've burned at least 30 or so...