Dual G4 1.25 Low level issue...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I've been trying to trouble shoot this on the digi duc but its now at a point where i'm down to the factory hardware and still having issues.

Here's the thread disussion so far:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=5&o=7&fpart=1

Basically I have a G4 dual 1.25 FW 800 non OS 9 boot machine that I just bought used about 6 months old.

It had everything running fine in 10.3.1 and protools 6.2.2 which I continued to use with my protools hardware but updated mistakenly to 10.3.2 which I found to be a known conflict.

I removed all my digi hardware, scsi card, usb hub, midi interface, everything, down to the computer, 2 extra DIMM's and the 2 extra ATA drives that the guy included.

I try and reinstall OS 10.2.4 which came with the machine and it goes ok. As soon as I go and do an update, it tries to update to 10.2.8 and KP's at the end of the install. Then its fried and I have to reinstall. I havent been able to get to the log from the terminal as someone suggested cause I keep reinstalling.

The last reinstall I zapped the pram, nvram and did a 0 bit format. STILL did the same thing. I havent run that apple hardware test cd yet as I guess thats next but what else could it be? What else is left? The RAM or does this sound like defective hardware?? Never seen anything like this in all my mac years... OS 9 was a rock for me... I just got into X and it's really giving me doubts!

I'd appreciate any help or wisdom guys, I read here all the time!

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    This sounds like a classic RAM issue. See if you can borrow a different RAM stick which you know works.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I would say ram as well, not OS X, but I really don't know. The reason I replied was to tell you that any G4 machine is dual boot, you can load OS 9 onto it and boot from it with no problems. So if you really think this is an OS X issue (which I don't think it is), go back to OS 9.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I would say ram as well, not OS X, but I really don't know. The reason I replied was to tell you that any G4 machine is dual boot, you can load OS 9 onto it and boot from it with no problems. So if you really think this is an OS X issue (which I don't think it is), go back to OS 9.

No, not any G4 can boot into OS9...

• Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

No, not any G4 can boot into OS9...

Why would the newest (and last) generation of MDD power macs be able to boot into 9 if earlier models could not? Maybe the new PB and iBook chips don't support dual booting (I really don't know, that was the only explanation I could come up with), but any non-portable G4 supports dual boot. The reason I didn't say that in my first post was that he was asking a question about a MDD, so I didn't think he needed to know about the G4s in the portables.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Why would the newest (and last) generation of MDD power macs be able to boot into 9 if earlier models could not? Maybe the new PB and iBook chips don't support dual booting (I really don't know, that was the only explanation I could come up with), but any non-portable G4 supports dual boot. The reason I didn't say that in my first post was that he was asking a question about a MDD, so I didn't think he needed to know about the G4s in the portables.

[/snip] Not all MDDs boot into OS9 -- yes, the model Apple is selling now online does... but at the time just before the PMG5 was released the PMG4 line-up was non-OS9 bootable and you had to click a "different" link to get to PMG4s that did swing the OS9 way. Also the current iBook G4, current PBs (Al) and current iMac do not boot into OS9... If you want OS9 now... it is the eMac or current PMG4 road you need to take.

Quote:

...any G4 machine is dual boot...

is what you said... I corrected you... end of story.

edit: this isn't AO, keep it thay way -alcimedes
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Is the name calling really necessary? Let's be mature about this. You are right, I am wrong. I'm not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to try and help people, so I told him what I knew (to the best of my knowledge). Sorry musical73 for ruining your thread and giving you incorrect information.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Is the name calling really necessary?

Umm... Yes.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Umm... Yes.

no it's not. clean it up.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

no it's not. clean it up.

Hense the ... I know it's not.

Atleast you could have let me "snip" my own post...

Just keeping the Mods on their toes...