Tracking Devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just wondering if anyone knew about tracking devices that I could put into my iBook case or in the iBook itself, Batman style, so if I ever get mugged going to and from class after dark, I can track my computer down and dropkick the thief in the head.

Don't ask me why I didn't just dropkick him in the head in the first place. It's just a hypothetical situation. In reality, I would probably call the police, or break down on the sidewalk crying until someone came to aid me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    I was about to suggest a GPS device, but after a bit of research, I found the smallest said device to be about the size of the apple wireless mouse. o_O Good luck getting THAT in your iBook. =P

It was used for tracking wild animals.

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hmmm... that's pretty big. I was thinking more along the lines of the size of a quarter or a Skittle.

I guess I could put a mouse-sized satellite positiion device into my carrying case. It may prove useful if the criminal scum runs to his house before abandoning the case or destroying the tracker. Then at least law enforcement will know where he lives or at least who to question.

Maybe I should just get a 9mm instead.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Hmmm... that's pretty big. I was thinking more along the lines of the size of a quarter or a Skittle.

Something that small really could only be an RF transmitter. There's no way it could talk to three satellites...

Soo... as long as it's not gone too far you could find it... just hope you don't get it stolen in an airport \
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The Pismo era PowerBooks had a LoJack software/device that could be installed...

<looks for links>

http://www.pcphonehome.com/

Quote:

PC PhoneHome? and MacPhoneHome? send a stealth email message with the exact location of your stolen compute

www.caveo.com makes a "car alarm PCMCIA card" but that's just too annoying to recommend

see also http://www.computersecurity.com/

plink plink
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I like the simple method. I remember reading the story about a poor Mac user who's Powerbook got stolen in an Airport I think. The Thief was caught by Police with the stolen laptop, but they had no idea who it belonged to. So they power it up and bingo! On the login screen when they pressed the little question mark, this message came up: "Will pay $$$ for return of laptop, call 1-800-found-mypb." Cool stuff about how this came together and worked for the guy. I defiantly did this post from memory so I can't point ya anywhere or verify it's accuracy.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

I like the simple method. I remember reading the story about a poor Mac user who's Powerbook got stolen in an Airport I think. The Thief was caught by Police with the stolen laptop, but they had no idea who it belonged to. So they power it up and bingo! On the login screen when they pressed the little question mark, this message came up: "Will pay $$$ for return of laptop, call 1-800-found-mypb." Cool stuff about how this came together and worked for the guy. I defiantly did this post from memory so I can't point ya anywhere or verify it's accuracy.

Just search AtAT for it. They did a nice writeup of it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Another option is to install a KeyStroke recorder, which sends a log of all the keystrokes to your email address. Hopefully when you get the log there is enough information to track it down.

Only problem I see with this technique is getting the machine to start logging when you have not verified for a while. If you don't it will send all your information over the internet, and we all know Big Brother is watching \