iPod mini not supposed to introduced at MWSF?

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I've got a little theory going that the iPod mini was not supposed to be introduced at Macworld. Let's look at the facts. At all previous keynotes have included a long video to promote the "it" product of the expo. If it's hardware it includes Ives, Schiller, and Rubenstein glowing how the latest thing is the most beautiful, sellable, and powerful thing Apple has ever done. If it's software, it's going some famous people talking about how this was what they were missing their entire life. But this year iLife got the video, iLife got the extensive demo, iLife got the majority of the time on stage.

So my theory is that iPod mini was supposed to come out in February when it would be available in the US and coincide with the launch of the 100 million song giveaway. Does this sound reasonable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've heard that MS is supposed to introduce a digital device this week. Maybe that caused them to introduce it.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    I am pretty sure it was released when planned, however.. I believe,,

The initial price point was $199. However, a couple hours before the keynote, Rio released a 4gb mp3 player for $249. Coincidence? Even his presentation would have made sense. He was comparing it to a $199 mp3 player. It's very possible that they raised the price at the last minute, because they thought they could squeeze a couple more drops from this lemon. =\\

I mean.. seriously.. An extra $50 and you go from 4gb to 15gb. Does apple really think we are THAT big of suckers for colors?

I am only going to buy 1.. maybe 2 of them. Hmph. =P

- Xidius
  • Reply 3 of 18
    They are price discriminating. They will charge the extra 50 for a couple of months to squeeze out a little more cash from the Apple nuts who just have to have the newest thing and the minature nuts who love small.

Come Spring or early summer they will drop to $199 and be very competitive.

My question- might the mini give an idea where the form factor for the larger iPod is headed.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    *sigh*

Does every thread about the iPod mini have to turn into a debate about pricing?

I think the "evidence" I pointed out up top (the long video) shows that the iPod mini was not supposed to be the focus of the show. Maybe Apple realized that iLife couldn't hold its own or they were ready sooner then Apple had hoped, but after watching every Stevenote the product with the long video is supposed to be the Apple product intro, but this year it wasn't. I think that's pretty strange.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Yep - that was my thinking, that the original iPods will gradually (quickly ?) be phased out and the 'cheap' iPod we haven't seen yet come in at the entry level.

Seems a strange way of doing things though - especially if the new form factor is branded as 'mini'. Kind of implies there'll always be something bigger.

I think the larger iPods may stay larger but take the shape and aluminum of the mini. They do look slick!

Do return to the subject of the page- if they moved up the into it would be because everyone was expecting it and Steve didn't want to disapoint.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It struck me as odd that he spent so little time on it. When Steve was approaching the 2-hour mark and the iPod minis hadn't been released, I thought, "Well, if he was going to release a new MiniPod he would want more time than this. I guess they're not coming."

He then announced them and spent all of what, 7 or 8 minutes on them? It was kind of a, "Oh yeah. Here's the iPod mini. It's going to cost $249 and it comes in 5 colors. Okay, goodbye."

I would have expected a video with Ive waving his arms in the air about how they rreeeeeaaallly wanted to make it very small, yet very functional and attractive, Schiller spewing his usual garbage, Rubenstein talking about how Apple was able to fit so much technology into the size of a business card, etc. It never came. Really kind of odd.

\
  • Reply 7 of 18
    now it they'd released the mini in time for Xmas... that might have made more sense
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

now it they'd released the mini in time for Xmas... that might have made more sense

Why? Every iPod made was sold over the holiday season. Nearly half of all iPods ever made were sold in that three month period. I don't think iPod mini was supposed to be introduced until February, maybe in conjunction with iTMS in Japan and Canada.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Things change, guys.

Don't always have to have the Ive-arm-waving, Schiller-overstating promo videos to accompany new gear. There's not much to these new iPods, as far as technology or funtionality go. Basically a squashed version of an already nice, small device.

They're small with colors. Big deal...so are lots of cell phones.

I think they would've had to struggle for stuff to say about it, honestly.

• Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Things change, guys.

Don't always have to have the Ive-arm-waving, Schiller-overstating promo videos to accompany new gear. There's not much to these new iPods, as far as technology or funtionality go. Basically a squashed version of an already nice, small device.

They're small with colors. Big deal...so are lots of cell phones.

I think they would've had to struggle for stuff to say about it, honestly.

No, but there was a long video this year, but it was about iLife '04 and not the iPod mini. This is what is most confusing about the entire thing. If there was no long video, I could accept that, but there was and it wasn't about the "it" product. Strange things are afoot in Cupertino.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

No, but there was a long video this year, but it was about iLife '04 and not the iPod mini. This is what is most confusing about the entire thing. If there was no long video, I could accept that, but there was and it wasn't about the "it" product. Strange things are afoot in Cupertino.

WTF are you talking about? Strange things are afoot? My god man! iLife is the big announcement, it is "Microsoft Office For The Rest Of Your Life." and if you dont get that then you missed the whole point of the show. iLife is the major product announcement of this MacWorld's Keynote. Do you realize how much time goes into developing those amazing applications compared to that of rehashing their two year old iPod and strapping it in a smaller, colorful enclosure....the iPod mini is cool and I've purchased one but iLife is what I'm really looking foreward to.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

At all previous keynotes have included a long video to promote the "it" product of the expo.

There were iPod mini commercials at the end of the keynote. Kind of a takeoff of the color iMac commercials.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

WTF are you talking about? Strange things are afoot? My god man! iLife is the big announcement, it is "Microsoft Office For The Rest Of Your Life." and if you dont get that then you missed the whole point of the show. iLife is the major product announcement of this MacWorld's Keynote. Do you realize how much time goes into developing those amazing applications compared to that of rehashing their two year old iPod and strapping it in a smaller, colorful enclosure....the iPod mini is cool and I've purchased one but iLife is what I'm really looking foreward to.

No, no, no, I get that iLife is the big announcement. I get it. What I don't get is how Steve organized his keynote. Normally the big announcement goes last. We see the intro slides, oooh and awww at the demo, then get treated to a 10 minute video with Apple/famous people talking about how this is the best thing since sliced bread. This show we had that for iLife, but the iPod mini came last without the demo or fanfare that is usually associated with the final product announcement. This is what I don't get.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

No, no, no, I get that iLife is the big announcement. I get it. What I don't get is how Steve organized his keynote. Normally the big announcement goes last. We see the intro slides, oooh and awww at the demo, then get treated to a 10 minute video with Apple/famous people talking about how this is the best thing since sliced bread. This show we had that for iLife, but the iPod mini came last without the demo or fanfare that is usually associated with the final product announcement. This is what I don't get.

The market that Steve is going after with this new iPod mini was not even watching the keynote anyway, so its not really important how he presented it. It was basically done just for the press and the outrageous mac fanatics like us...Steve just does these keynotes because they garner press attention, not because he is selling straight to the average consumer...only 60,000 people were watching anyway...its the way the press sums things up in the papers the next day that "real people" pay attention to.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    BTW.. where was Phil Schiller this year? Steve didn't bring him out for any demo.. rather Steve invited another Apple guy to demo the iPhoto sharing thing.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    It made sense to me.

Software takes more time to explain, demonstrate, etc.

Lots of new features in iLife, and a whole new app.

OTOH, the iPod mini is not much more new. Smaller, a little cheaper, and it comes in colors. Perfect for a short closer, especially since it was so "expected" due to the rumors.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

BTW.. where was Phil Schiller this year? Steve didn't bring him out for any demo..

Quote:

Originally posted by Former Lurker

OTOH, the iPod mini is not much more new. Smaller, a little cheaper, and it comes in colors.

Perfect for a short closer,
    especially since it was so "expected" due to the rumors.

Phil probably didn't want to be seen connecting those dots...

Next to Steve in traditional Black mock and jeans, Phil fits the second quote in his traditional pastel.