24 January, is a?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, actually, 24 January isn?t a Tuesday, it?s a Saturday. But given that it?s *the* 20 birthday of the Mac? seems like a good time for a product announcement.

The like of which seemed to be missing from yesterday?s events.

-- Clive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    January 24 is a ...... Good Bet...

I'd think, given 0.09µ PPC970's available.

'Course delivery probably wouldn't be for 4-6 weeks, but that seems to be the norm these days.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Superbowl Sunday is in the first few days of Feb this year.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Superbowl Sunday is in the first few days of Feb this year.

feb 1 to be exact
  • Reply 4 of 48
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    considering the fact that they "spruced up" the original 1984 commercial on apple's website (they did a kickass job masking in an ipod), it certainly seems that apple has not forgotten how important a day january 24th is in the history of apple... and i'd wager steve hasn't forgotten either.

if you've got money, i would wait to see what happens in (...rok checks watch...) 17 days.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It also happens to be the tenth anniversary of Babylon 5. I think the show's creator is a Mac user.

Hey, I like that show!
  • Reply 6 of 48
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    There is something odd near the end of the "new" 1984 commercial. Other than the heroine who is now wearing an iPod (excellent editing there), the huge black and white movie now displays 1/26/04 on the left side of the screen. I don't have a copy of the original ad, but it sure looks as this was also edited-in for this version. Maybe Apple will introduce something big on January 26, which is a monday, to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Mac.

Download the "new" 1984 ad from Apple and check it out.

• Reply 7 of 48
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

There is something odd near the end of the "new" 1984 commercial. Other than the heroine who is now wearing an iPod (excellent editing there), the huge black and white movie now displays 1/26/04 on the left side of the screen. I don't have a copy of the original ad, but it sure looks as this was also edited-in for this version. Maybe Apple will introduce something big on January 26, which is a monday, to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Mac.

whoaw....eerie.... could it be that the ZERO is an EIGHT? Or is there no possibility of that?

because, otherwise, WHOAW!

• Reply 8 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Could be a hint that something interesting is about to happen (moreso than a G5 speed bump or G5 iMac). 20 Anniversary Macintosh? Hopefully it won't be $10K like the 20th Anniversary Apple .
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

It is like that in the original... I just viewed it at 640x480 to make sure.

I don't think it was editied.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    At first, I also thought it was an 8 as in 84, but that would read 1.26.84 and the Mac was introduced on 1/24/84. Who knows... maybe just trying to read too much into it, after I realized the ad had been edited with the woman wearing an iPod. Either way, monday 1/26/04 fits just right for an anniversary product introduction.

• Reply 11 of 48
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    Just because everyone seems to be wondering about the original:

You can find a (small copy) of the original on Hardcore4Mac.

It doesn't load quickly, as it's 13 MB but it is complete and the original.

They also have lots of Apple's other advertisements in their quicktime gallery here.

I hope this is helpful to some of you.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Way too much time on your hands there, Bill
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

It also happens to be the tenth anniversary of Babylon 5. I think the show's creator is a Mac user.

Hey, I like that show!

Perhaps the best SciFi ever produced for TV or even the big screen!

They also seemed to have a positive influence on Babylon 5 at the time, making them reach for plot threads that lasted longer than the usual hour.

Ok, back to mac content:

Was at the expo and got I nice poster of teh iPod clad runner from the commercial for free at the Apple booth. Cool.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

But then so have I!

Curiously, the one interesting event that coincides with 01/26 is the international music industry junket in Cannes (MIDEM) which officially starts on the Sunday.

However, there is a precursor event called Midemnet on the Saturday (01/25) at which Eddy Cue (Apple?s VP of applications and Internet Services, including iTMS) is the first speaker.

Hmmm, the whole world's music industry plus a fair smattering of what passes for talent nowadays in one place, an anniversary, an Apple VP already in town.

Does anyone know whether Steve's Gulfstream is going anywhere soon?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

yup...hehehe... just watched a copy of the original ad, the 1.26.84 is there too, my bad... but but but but, nevermind...

• Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

whoaw....eerie.... could it be that the ZERO is an EIGHT? Or is there no possibility of that?

because, otherwise, WHOAW!

Interesting. The round thing is a eight, in my opinion, but the number before seems to be a twenty six. I think it is also strange. Isn't it supposed to be a four, like in twenty fourth?

Edit: the inscription seems to be the same as the one on my copy of the original, but why 26th in the first place?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    I played with the image to up the contrast etc and the year always looks more like and "04" than a "84"
  • Reply 18 of 48
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Um, well there's a "09" below it and it looks different than the "84".

I imagine that when the commercial was in production, and some dude was creating the screen graphics, they were told it would be the 26th instead of the 24th. Someone should ask Ridley Scott, maybe he was the one who made the error...
  • Reply 19 of 48
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Force

Interesting. The round thing is a eight, in my opinion, but the number before seems to be a twenty six. I think it is also strange. Isn't it supposed to be a four, like in twenty fourth?

Edit: the inscription seems to be the same as the one on my copy of the original, but why 26th in the first place?

Yeah, and why 3:14? Was it aired at 3:14 the first time? Maybe someone goofed up and put the wrong date AND time on the screen. OMG!!!

Or else they just wanted some cool grafx on the screen to make it look kinda technoish and scary and 'Alien' like so they just plonked something on there which was around the right date and time because they didn't reckon that anyone would be messing around with a QT copy, a PowerMac, FCE 2 and too much time on their hands 20 years later, looking for clues in places where there aren't any?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    geekmeetgeekmeet Posts: 107member
    no matter if the enscribed numerals are originals or not,something WILL be happening this month that is BIG.

ive heard all the whinner and complainers already well heres my take.

i think apple HAD to do what it did at Macworld,they cant just throw products out there left and right,things have to be thought out,people have to support these products!

apple doesnt do think haphazardly,or havent any of you learned that.

also....apple NEEDS to hype iLIFE,it is the FUTURE of apple..........

i want to see MORE demos of ilife,i want it drilled in our collective skulls about how great this software is for the price.

now...what will be coming next?

what do you think?

you already know