iBox (So is it true?)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I first read this from macosx.com

(not sure that it's true)

===========================================

Exclusive Insider Information: Apple iBox in production.

Published: 2003-12-31 07:00:00

We just recently received information from a alleged member of a testing program at Apple.

MacOSX.com isn't in the business of spreading rumors, nor do we wish to put ourselves into harms way, but we felt this is news worthy. We are trying to find out as much as we can. More on this if we get it, here you go:

The Apple iBox is a project that, in one form or another, the company has been working on for years. The prototypes for the first set top mac are still found on eBay today. Little is known about these, but I do know some interesting things about what's now called the iBox.

The iBox has a small, sleek encasement that is about 10 inches long, 6 inches wide and 1 - 1 1/2 inches thick. Its optical drive is slot loading and it has an on button that resembles the cube's power "button." Its case is made of the same material found on the G5, even sports the same grey logo on the top. The front, or face, of the iBox is pearl white, similar to an iPod.

read more at: http://www.macosx.com/content/article.php?cid=53

After I read that I was like "yeah, right"

But then I read this:

"But analysts expect Apple to stay ahead of its competitors. The company's likely next steps are a home-media server for recording TV shows and sharing digital files between the television and computer, then a portable video player like the iPod.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/01/07/apple_raises_stakes_in_digital_music/

Do you think it's true ???

If so when do you think we would see it ? this year? before April?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    are they suggesting iBox is a descendant of Pippin ? welcome to 1996

[ EDIT: Ah... my bad. not 1996 Pippin, 1995 STB. ]
  • Reply 2 of 7
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

"But analysts expect Apple to stay ahead of its competitors. The company's likely next steps are a home-media server for recording TV shows and sharing digital files between the television and computer, then a portable video player like the iPod.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/01/07/apple_raises_stakes_in_digital_music/

Do you think it's true ???

If so when do you think we would see it ? this year? before April? [/B]

But why do you need this when you got EyeTV and EyeHome? Combined these 2 you get what you want.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Here's a link that works:

The Boston Globe
  • Reply 4 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

are they suggesting iBox is a descendant of Pippin ? welcome to 1996

No They are saying it's a relative to the old Apple STB (set top box). It's was the original WebTv, and I believe someone from the first webtv team were on the Apple Set Top Box Project.

But from what it sounds like it's not only a Apple version of Tivo it also has WEbTv like functionality somewhat like the old Set Top Box, and probably a CD burner, and access to the ITMS. Now that is a convenient way to buy a CD for a non computer user.

Quote:

Here's a blast from the past... in 1995, Apple created an Apple Set Top Box. Details from this 1995 Press Release announced that this interactive TV set-top technology was being evaluated in a six-state trial.

"Apple's ITV system incorporates key technologies including a subset of the MacOS, QuickDraw and QuickTime. In addition, it includes an MPEG1 decoder and supports PAL and NTSC video formats as well as E1 and T1 telephone protocols. "

Needless to say, this technology never went anywhere, but some units have been floating around. As Apple/Mac fans, we got our hands on one to take a look.

Continued (click Read More below)...

Link to the article quoted

OMGosh. I wonder if they will use the cube's design on this thing? That would be stellar.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

OMGosh. I wonder if they will use the cube's design on this thing? That would be stellar.

I'd guess something like that but smaller and all. I wouldn't be surprised if it took on an Airport like shape, but not if it's made from the same metal as the G5 casing. Either way, rumors are rumors. And I hope they're true.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well I would like to see how well Microsoft executes their STB strategy before we see an Apple product like it. Plus the fact that the FCC ruling that T.V. broadcasts can be "tagged" to prevent HDTV recording is a concern. Now if that ruling gets overturned by a court (please let it be), then there will be no problem with recording HDTV broadcasts. I just don't think that Apple would be wise to step into this area where lawsuits are flying.

But hey, look at what they did with the iTMS. Maybe they would be able to work something out. I wouldn't want to pay a dollar everytime I want to record a HDTV broadcast however.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

I wouldn't want to pay a dollar everytime I want to record a HDTV broadcast however.

why not?

if it ensured a good rip with a good interface (and AD BLOCKING) I would definitely pay a reasonable price (up to like $1 per 30 min or so) as long as no DRM is involved after the initial recording... (as in recording may be limited, but what you do with the media afterwards, as long as it falls under fair use, should not have DRM tied to it...