prices in Apple Retail Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am coming from Germany and going to NY next week. I would like to buy an iPod and i have heard that the prices in USA are without taxes. What does the 40 GB iPod Model really cost. At the online Store it costs 499$. Is this the price i have to pay at the retail store in NYC?

Thanks a lot in advance!

equinox

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Sales tax applies to everybody, so you have to pay a little bit extra. I don't remember what sales tax is like in NYC.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Sales tax applies to everybody, so you have to pay a little bit extra. I don't remember what sales tax is like in NYC.

8.625% sales tax, I believe.

And if you live in NYC, then there's CITY income tax too!

Contrary to what many seem to think, living in NYC is NOT a privilege.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Unless it's changed recently, the sales tax in NYC is 8.25%. 4% goes the the ****ing bastards in Albany, 4% goes to NYC, and .25% goes to the MTA so our subway fares don't go up.

You can of course apply to get your taxes refunded at JFK or Newark, but then you might have to pay VAT, I'm not entirely sure. Even if you don't buy anything, you should check out the SoHo store, Tekserve, and J&R. It will blow away most Mac users how good us NYC Mac users have it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Unless it's changed recently, the sales tax in NYC is 8.25%. 4% goes the the ****ing bastards in Albany, 4% goes to NYC, and .25% goes to the MTA so our subway fares don't go up.

I've got receipts stating 8.625%. That's where I got the number. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong though -- part of living in NYC is learning that doing just about anything requires getting ripped off.

Personally, I'd reserve the "****ing bastards" for the MTA. Lying ****ing bastards.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    This is the advantage of buying in NH (No sales tax).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I live in NH like Fran441... it's one of the few (if not only?) states in the US without sales tax.

Then again, I don't think the worst-case scenario of state+local taxes in the US is anywhere as frightening as European VAT taxes that I've seen.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I live in NH like Fran441... it's one of the few (if not only?) states in the US without sales tax.

And don't forget the state-owned drive-through booze emporiums! Right off the interstate!

(Y'all didn't get rid of those, did you?)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

And don't forget the state-owned drive-through booze emporiums! Right off the interstate!

Still have them... and they were definitely a bit of a surprise when I first moved here. Right in the median of an interstate highway! I was thinking "What kind of message are they trying to send???".

Oh... just to keep things on topic... I'd fully support having tax-free Apple Stores conveniently located at rest stops and in median strips on interstate highways.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

I've got receipts stating 8.625%. That's where I got the number. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong though -- part of living in NYC is learning that doing just about anything requires getting ripped off.

It doesn't mean you were ripped off. State sales tax is a minimum, but counties can tack extra fees onto that.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It doesn't mean you were ripped off. State sales tax is a minimum, but counties can tack extra fees onto that.

I meant that they (the store) might have charged me a higher rate of tax than they were supposed to.

As unlikely as that may be, I wouldn't be surprised: I've learned that things that are illegal in other cities are normal in NY.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Oh, and for those who are wondering: Yes, I am bitter.

Nonetheless, I hope equinox has a great trip. I wouldn't wish my fate on anyone else!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Well, I just googled it and found that the sales tax is 6.625%. More of an FYI at this point.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

You can buy beer and wine at grocery stores and convenience stores, but if you want to buy any other type of alcohol, you have to buy them at State Liquor Stores. I went to one on Christmas Eve, it was nuts.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Well, I just googled it and found that the sales tax is 6.625%. More of an FYI at this point.

Typo there: 8.625% sales tax

That's what your link says. As does the NYC Dept. of Finance web site.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Typo there: 8.625% sales tax

That's what your link says. As does the NYC Dept. of Finance web site.

My bad, it is 8.625%