Apps bouncing but not loading...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I had a problem yesterday with apps which were bouncing, but not loading properly.

They would sit in the Dock with their little black indicators in place, and they would should show up in the Force Quit dialog box, but they wouldn't show up on the screen - no menus, palettes etc.

Some apps which were affected were:

Disk Utility!

Mail

Safari

Disk Utility launched, but as soon as I clicked on a volume icon, the spinning wheel of death appeared.

Some apps which weren't affected at all were:

InDesign

Illustrator

Photoshop

Anyway, after trying all the troubleshooting methods I could think off (which didn't take very long at all) I remembered that I had activated three new fonts recently. Disabling these three new fonts in Font Book solved the problem!

Strange it should affect Disk Utility, but not InDesign or Illustrator, eh?

Anyway, I hope this info might help someone out there, should they experience the same problem!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I had a similar problem when I tried networking my computer at work. Because I had screwed something up, it was causing many of my apps to 'bounce'.

How I solved it was by looking at my process viewer (or top in the terminal) and going on a rampant 'kill' spree until I narrowed down the offending process that was causing my machine to hang, and looking at what it was associated with so I could fix it.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

\

ampant 'kill' spree

Well, my solution isn't as much fun. Maybe try trashing the Finder prefs?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Edit: Whoops...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hmmmm we need to learn to read the whole post and understand what the poster is saying before we make suggestions...

he fixed the problem... just wanted to post it to help others...
  • Reply 5 of 7
  • Reply 6 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Disabling these three new fonts in Font Book solved the problem!

Strange it should affect Disk Utility, but not InDesign or Illustrator, eh?

Welcome to Cocoa, bro! :/
  • Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ahh... ain't that a bitch...