DVDs and other Storage Media

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have recently swapped my Hi8 for a digital videocamera which works very nicely with iMovie and I am planning on getting more into digital video, but my hard drive is pretty full and with DV being around 20 megabytes per second it's not getting any emptier, also it would be nice to have backup copies of my files, which a CD-ReWriter just isn't practical for.

I've been looking at DVD storage drives and media but there are still some things I'm not sure of.

Do Rewritable DVDs act in the same way as CD-RW? As in, they must be erased completely before being rewritten.

What is the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW and between DVD+R and DVD-R ?

The format I am most interested in at the moment is DVD-RAM because it sounds far more flexible, is this supported by Apple and if so how well? Would I be able to create an iMovie project folder onto a DVD-RAM disk and import video directly onto it, or are there issues with reading and writing speeds?

Any advice would be very appreciated,

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    You should lookHERE for some answers to the different formats.

Sorry can't help with other stuff at the mo \
  • Reply 2 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

I have recently swapped my Hi8 for a digital videocamera which works very nicely with iMovie and I am planning on getting more into digital video, but my hard drive is pretty full and with DV being around 20 megabytes per second it's not getting any emptier, also it would be nice to have backup copies of my files, which a CD-ReWriter just isn't practical for.

I've been looking at DVD storage drives and media but there are still some things I'm not sure of.

Do Rewritable DVDs act in the same way as CD-RW? As in, they must be erased completely before being rewritten.

What is the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW and between DVD+R and DVD-R ?

The format I am most interested in at the moment is DVD-RAM because it sounds far more flexible, is this supported by Apple and if so how well? Would I be able to create an iMovie project folder onto a DVD-RAM disk and import video directly onto it, or are there issues with reading and writing speeds?

Any advice would be very appreciated,

Andrew

you can get 120 GIGA bytes for less then 100??- plus a fw case?- believe it or not: i do use three hds just for my home movieprojects ;-)

+r is not really supported by apple, -r is teh standard in standalone dvd players 8meanwhile you can get some exotic player, which support +r)

yes, a rw disk has to be erased before rewritten, but thats fast and easy

i'm not sure, you can use a rw as an external "hd", because normally the system writes a "preview" on the systems disk before the final result is written on the dvd(+/-/r/rw)?-
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thank you, your advice has been very helpful. Now I'm looking at two options, either buy an extra harddrive, internal or external and a DVD-RW drive for backup, or buy a DVD-RAM drive.

Do you have any suggestions for Apple compatible drives that can write DVD? prefereably FireWire or internal, and that can tak DVD-RAM cartridges At the moment I am looking at this drive.

I'd prefer to use only a DVD-RAM drive but would this be efficient? Would I notice slow response in reading and writing to the disk compared to an ATA harddrive?

Andrew
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Optical drives are much slower than hard drives.