UMAX S900 failing to make a network connection...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have aquired a UMAX S900 with a G4 card for use as a fileserver. it came with 10.2 on it (from the person i got it from) and it works fine.

i had the machine hooked up to my home network while i updated software, installed some new PCI cards (including an ATA card so i can run extra hard drives) and it all worked fine. the last update i did was to 10.2.8 and it worked (it was after the new version came out).

i have bought it down to my studio and plugged it into my Solwise ADSL router (which has 4 ports and all the machines plu into it to make the network).

now it just won't connect to the web or to other machines. and other machines can't connect to it either. the ADSL box has a red light on the port the ethernet cable is plugged into (saying its 10mbps rather than 100). i've swapped the ethernet cable to one i know works and still no joy. network settings are correct.

any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, first, can it PING the router? is its subnet the same as the other comps? check the settings and make sure that its gateway (router) is aimed at your router. is it getting its ip from dhcp, staticly entered, or something else?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

well, first, can it PING the router? is its subnet the same as the other comps? check the settings and make sure that its gateway (router) is aimed at your router. is it getting its ip from dhcp, staticly entered, or something else?

it can't ping or traceroute anything outside the network or the router or inside the network.

the router setting is the same as the other machines on the network. the router has a static ip, and then the internal machines are manually set with an internal ip range. so i gave the umax a new ip. this works fine if someone brings a laptop in and plugs into the network.

i'm stumped! maybe the ethernet card is screwed? but i can't elieve its happened in the car from my home to my studio...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Can you ping localhost?

If you can't then the cards probably buggered.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Can you ping localhost?

If you can't then the cards probably buggered.

Dobby.

ah good call. i'm at home but i'll try it tomorrow.

if i can ping localhost then i have no idea why. if i can't then i seriously pissed that the card has gone!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ping'ing localhost, i don't think, will even attempt to use the network card. localhost resolves to 127.0.0.1, and your comp assigns that ip to a separate virtual nic (called lo or something i think). that ping probably wouldn't leave a working computer.

what is the ip, subnet, and internal router address? (don't worry about posting them on the internet, the router [should] hide them behind a nat). maybe you've put the ip out of the subnet incidentally.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    somebody shoot me. i deserve it. no really i do. especially when i have a typo in the router address.

i deserve to be taken out, tied up and left to die in the hot sun.

thank you all for indulging a fool

• Reply 7 of 7
    don't worry, i' happens to the best of us.