Just one iPod mini with "face plates"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just one iPod mini with "face plates"

I like the colors Apple picked

But why not just make one model, and sell "face plates"

This leave the door open for "brand-a company" to make face plates for the iPod mini- which would help iPod mini's sales

The focus on just making one model could help lower the cost of the iPod mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I don't know. iPods don't have detachable parts, no latches, etc. I'm sure Apple will release new colors and patterns soon.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't know about patterns, they're metal. Would be cool though... if they left out the flower one.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Not Apple's style. Won't happen.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

But why not just make one model, and sell "face plates"

Because it would look like ass?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If it looked the same exact way as the current iPod mini (only with different colors), how does that "look like ass", exactly?

If it's a seamless, direct replacement (snap-on or slide on or whatever).

In any case, I'm sure all the usual suspects (Marware, Exo, Booq, MacMice, etc.) are at work - as we speak - on new cases, covers, holders and accessories for these new iPods.

I bet all these peripheral/accessory companies love these keynotes because it means they get to design new goodies to go with new Apple gear.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

If it looked the same exact way as the current iPod mini (only with different colors), how does that "look like ass", exactly?

If it's a seamless, direct replacement (snap-on or slide on or whatever).

If it's snap or slide on then it is by definition not "seamless". The iPod mini looks good because it's one piece of smooth, uninterrupted anodized aluminum.

User swappable faceplates of any kind on any electronic device look terrible. Apple would never do it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I think a slide-on design could work, but the buttons and other jacks might cause problems.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

If it's snap or slide on then it is by definition not "seamless". The iPod mini looks good because it's one piece of smooth, uninterrupted anodized aluminum.

User swappable faceplates of any kind on any electronic device look terrible. Apple would never do it.

That's simply not true; Nokia's range of customizable cellphones have set the standard for cool hi-tech fashion accessories.

Having said that, they aren't exactly user friendly when it comes to swapping the covers - complicated latches and tiny protrusions that seem like they might break off - definately not Apple's style.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Apple doesn't do "faceplates"
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Blue Dalmation aluminum iPod minis!

Woo Hoo!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    faceplates scream Dell, they just suck.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Faceplates leave the iPod mini's looks up to anyone who can crap out a faceplate. Apple spends a lot of time and effort in industrial design and making products that are slick... To be very honest, Apple does not trust the gaudy consumer when it comes to their products' appearance... nor should it, if Nokia phones are any indication.

Based on some of the cheesy Nokia faceplates I have seen, I am not going to be missing iPods covered in your favourite alma mater or smiley faces.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I would have definitely preferred faceplates to a lasting color. A perfect example is Sony Ericsson's Z600 phone. They're selling faceplate packs for $19.95 each. Sure would warrant Apple to sell the iPod mini's for $50 less then make up money through a series of face plates.

It's great and also, would almost eliminate those ipod skins people dish out $20 for anyway. At least with faceplates, if you scratch the surface, you just put on a new one. Rather than buying silicone or leather covers for them.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Last time Apple tried user-customizable designs was with the PowerBook 1400, which had interchangeable face plates on the back of the screen. They were awful and most people ended up going with the neutral dark gray instead of the clear window anyway. I doubt they'll ever do it again (although offering colors is cool).
  • Reply 15 of 15
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Here's why this won't work:

1) The slide on cover method-

Due to the fact that the scroll wheel pivots on center, it's leaves open the opportunity for someone to damage it while sliding on a cover. PR and customer service nightmare.

2) The snap on method-

Apple wants this device to have an aluminum face. Period. And since they won't go with the slide on method for the reasons above, that only leaves you the option of snapping on these thin pieces of aluminum. Unfortunately, that's going to mean a lot of people will be bending and damaging these this pieces of aluminum, making them no longer fit properly, or have crease after crease where the cover was bent and then bent back into place. Another nightmare.

3) Warranties-

iPods aren't towers. Opening them up will do no good whatsoever. There is too much risk involved for the consumer's small goal of changing the face.

I'm sure that sooner or later someone will devise a way to change the cover, but it will never be an Apple authorized procedure.