How do I change accounts on the iTMS?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright- I have an old .mac apple account that I used with the iTunes music store- that e-mail address is no longer valid b/c I didn't renew .mac.

So how do I change the account so all my music plays with the new e-mail address? I have no need for the old account anymore.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ...You want your old music to magically transfer to your new account?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

...You want your old music to magically transfer to your new account?

yeah I guess...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Not really following you.....I have 2 accounts and switch back and forth and my purchased music doesn't suddenly go away when i switch. So what's your question?

Now if i hop on my laptop which i didn't purchase it from and log in to my accounts. My purchased stuff won't magically show up. Is that what you mean? Otherwise I don't see the issue.

If you want that music...burn a cd mb
  • Reply 4 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    He wants to transfer the rights of his music from one account to another. No can do.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Affirmative

It's not that big of a deal though. He can still use the old account, it's not like it goes away. I would assume whether a person updates his .mac account or not, he'd still have access to the itunes account just by using the email and pw he set up.

Am I wrong in this thinking?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    There are two ways of going about this. First you can go in and change all your Apple account info from www.apple.com, or you could just continue to use the info provided. Just because the dot mac subscription expired does not mean that the account has. I know this because my first Dot Mac account expired, but I went in and changed the email address to my new Dot Mac account and it works fine.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I believe that's right tonton. That's why i made the comment that logging in to my itunes music store from a different computer even being logged into my account doesn't show my purchased music. I would need to authorize another machine and tranfer the music if i wanted it on a new machine.

With it limited to 3 machines, in a few years you could find that you lose some music, unless you link older machines on a network and use the share option
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

I believe that's right tonton. That's why i made the comment that logging in to my itunes music store from a different computer even being logged into my account doesn't show my purchased music. I would need to authorize another machine and tranfer the music if i wanted it on a new machine.

With it limited to 3 machines, in a few years you could find that you lose some music, unless you link older machines on a network and use the share option

No you can't share them over the network unless the computer is already authorized to play the songs. What you can do is de-authorize your computers as you stop using them.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Oh, I get it. It's only when you authorize or deauthorize a particular machine to work with certain files that you'll need to reference an account. So does it really matter if the email address entered in your account information is accurate? Because I live outside of the US, I used a dormant Hotmail account for my email address and have not had a problem redeeming iTMS gift certificate cash. I've never seen a single email from iTMS (I have the Hotmail account set to "exclusive" and didn't bother to include whatever email address or domain iTMS notices come from), nor do I think I have to receive the emails to continue using the account, right?

On that note, what is the originating domain of mail from iTMS?

The only times you need the account info is to authorize/deauthorize a computer, change your one click prefs, or edit you account info. All emails from iTMS come from an @apple.com account.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    HOM, you are wrong about sharing music within a network, even purchased music. I do it, no problem without having my other machine authorized.

None of the files are tranferred, so once my other machines itunes is quit. The files disappear. This is directly taken off the itunes page for your reading.

New Music Sharing feature

iTunes 4 has a Music Sharing feature that uses Rendezvous to give you remote streaming access to your personal music library from any room in your house. Let?s say, for instance, that you have thousands of AAC and MP3 music files stored on a Mac or Windows computer in your home office. The iTunes software works so smoothly on both platforms that you can share music with any combination of Macs and Windows PCs on a local area network ? regardless of whether you?re running iTunes off a Mac or PC. And you won?t have to manually configure anything, either.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

HOM, you are wrong about sharing music within a network, even purchased music. I do it, no problem without having my other machine authorized.

None of the files are tranferred, so once my other machines itunes is quit. The files disappear. This is directly taken off the itunes page for your reading.

New Music Sharing feature

iTunes 4 has a Music Sharing feature that uses Rendezvous to give you remote streaming access to your personal music library from any room in your house. Let?s say, for instance, that you have thousands of AAC and MP3 music files stored on a Mac or Windows computer in your home office. The iTunes software works so smoothly on both platforms that you can share music with any combination of Macs and Windows PCs on a local area network ? regardless of whether you?re running iTunes off a Mac or PC. And you won?t have to manually configure anything, either.

Actually, you must have authorized the songs to play on the other computers if you are sharing them. According to iTunes Help:

Quote:

If you're listening to a shared library or playlist, iTunes skips any purchased music in the list if this computer hasn't been authorized to play that music. To listen to a purchased song in a shared library or playlist, you need to double-click the song. If your computer is not authorized to play songs purchased by the person who is sharing the song, you'll need to enter that person's Apple Account ID and password to hear the song.

Maybe you just don't realize that it's not playing iTMS songs, it would skip over them if you haven't authorized the second computer to play them.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Actually HOM, i was wrong.....and you are right. I must have authorized it. I went through all the preference after reading it on itunes page. i deauthorized the machine, and I could share all of my libraury besides the purchased songs.

When i attempted to listen to the purchased music, although they showed up, they wouldn't stream. It then prompted me to authorize the machine. Which i did and then it would stream them.

I apologize for my post above...you are absolutely correct. it was actually a good lesson for me. I had no idea how to authorize or deauthorize and have you to thank for pointing out my stupidity and also forcing me to go through the steps to check, so now i know how. Thanks