Safari... page loads in background tabs...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
why are they so freakin slow??

if I have a tab in the same window that is downloading a movie my bandwidth transfer speed will drop dramatically...

right now I have a pretty fat pipe (ok, its REALLY fat... over 5mbit according to speed tests at dsl reports) so I don't see any reason for a slowdown if the page is not the current tab in use....

there is also a slight slowdown (about half as much as the slowdown from a background tab) if the a separate PAGE is downloading in a different safari window...

any explanation for these differences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I noticed that movies loading on tabs in the background don't actually load. The little bar indicator doesn't even move. I don't like that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, I was testing the iLife 86 meg video...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Is Safari actually multithreaded? It doesn't seem to like doing several things at once, with the Beachball of Death showing up far too often for my liking.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Is Safari actually multithreaded? It doesn't seem to like doing several things at once, with the Beachball of Death showing up far too often for my liking.

Very much so, yes, but some parts of WebCore, as I recall, are not. Omni has struggled to fix some of those threading issues.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bjerbjer Posts: 67member
    Don't know if it is the problem of my broad band provider or what, Safari is just so very slow. Now after trying Mozilla, I just can't go back to Safari any more. I have both open and both going to the same sites in tabs and Mozilla is several times faster. Wonder if this is a Safari problem or BB provider problem?