Honey I shrunk the Hard Drive

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, the iPod uses the 1.8 inch drives, I suspect the iPod Mini uses the 1 inch drives. So, imagine what Apple could make with these little suckers...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3381997.stm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

So, the iPod uses the 1.8 inch drives, I suspect the iPod Mini uses the 1 inch drives. So, imagine what Apple could make with these little suckers...

Would be cool if Apple could make it's own iPod HardDrives

Cut down on the total cost to make the iPod

Get the "best model" iPods price down to 349$

Leaving Dell DJ crying home
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

oh... i'm having fantasies about the possibilities already
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

oh... i'm having fantasies about the possibilities already

I'm not...

I'll take a laptop drive over this slow/no-cache bottle cap anyday.

• Reply 4 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

A few problems with this...first, the R&D dollars that it would take to develop said drive by Apple would be huge, not worth it. Building a drive that small is costly, let someone else do the dirty work. The price will come down in a few months, it's new technology, it's always too expensive when it first comes out. Second, what is the "best model" of the iPod? The 40 gig? Third, the iPod already made the dell dj its b*tch. It's been crying since it realized it couldn't possibly compete with the iPod.

Edit: One more thing, but this is for \\/\\/ickes...I hate to ruin another thread, but maybe we can be nice on this one? How the heck to you expect to fit a laptop drive into an iPodMini...that just won't work. It may be slow, it may not have any cache, but it's still an engineering marvel. Give it time, it'll get better.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    HItachi claims its 1" drives are in the iPod mini and not the Toshiba drives. I'm inclined to believe them because the Toshiba drives aren't even shipping yet.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Imagine what you can do with these mini HD. Put 8 of them in your G5 : who said there is only place for two HD in a G5 ?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Take a PBG4 12" form factor innards. Remove the optical drive. Replace the 2.5" drive with this one. Change the battery form factor. Sounds about right for an A5 tablet, doesn't it? The disk has enough size to boot from, and then access a home directory elsewhere on the network. Toss in the much-rumored Backpack feature discussed for Server, and copy just the files/apps you need that day, have them resync up when you come back on the network later.

Yeah, this drive size helps some possible projects quite a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Take a PBG4 12" form factor innards. Remove the optical drive. Replace the 2.5" drive with this one. Change the battery form factor. Sounds about right for an A5 tablet, doesn't it? The disk has enough size to boot from, and then access a home directory elsewhere on the network. Toss in the much-rumored Backpack feature discussed for Server, and copy just the files/apps you need that day, have them resync up when you come back on the network later.

Yeah, this drive size helps some possible projects quite a bit.

how about use the 12" form factor and use these smaller drives to give way for a larger battery...

this is certainly plausible...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Ehrmmm.. Thats like saying McDonalds should breed its own cows...?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

--snip--

Edit: One more thing, but this is for \\/\\/ickes...I hate to ruin another thread, but maybe we can be nice on this one? How the heck to you expect to fit a laptop drive into an iPodMini...that just won't work. It may be slow, it may not have any cache, but it's still an engineering marvel. Give it time, it'll get better.

Hey DMBand0026,

I like the idea, small drives are a marvel, you are right about that. I, however, would not sacrifice the performance of a good laptop-like drive for some exra space. If I were to invest in an iPod then I would also use it as an external storage device, not just a music player, and as a storage divice I would expect much more than the 0.8"/1" drives can give me. In this respect I will most-likely buy an external HDD for storage and an iPod for music.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

how about use the 12" form factor and use these smaller drives to give way for a larger battery...

I thought...so see I already set myself up to be wrong...but I thought that the main factor that there isn't more batteries is because of the weight, not because of space.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    http://www.gs-magicstor.com/english/...ts-E/index.htm

these 1 inch drive seem to be better density
  • Reply 13 of 15
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Hey DMBand0026,

I like the idea, small drives are a marvel, you are right about that. I, however, would not sacrifice the performance of a good laptop-like drive for some exra space. If I were to invest in an iPod then I would also use it as an external storage device, not just a music player, and as a storage divice I would expect much more than the 0.8"/1" drives can give me. In this respect I will most-likely buy an external HDD for storage and an iPod for music.

Well, the advantage of the iPod to me is that I can CCC my PB HD and my "needed" files and bring it along with me when I'm working out of town. If my PB dies I can reinstall the OS and "needed" files and get back to work. I carry around a FW drive as a backup when driving out of town but hard to carry a FW drive around when going out of town via air. The iPod works well as a back-up drive but not as "working" drive.

Tax write-off too...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

http://www.gs-magicstor.com/english/...ts-E/index.htm

these 1 inch drive seem to be better density

Or it could be an issue of GiB vs GB...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shabbasuraj

Not really - these are 4GB drives. Works for a remote-access device, but not a full-fledged laptop, not anymore.

When these puppies hit 40GB and have the reliability of 2.5" drives, then yeah, extra battery space would be sweet. But... remove the need for a keyboard, and you can make a smaller unit. The 4GB drive is great for booting. Smart Screen, ala MS? Ha. No need to transmit video and tie up the CPU of the server. This little bugger is more like a thin client (*gasp*) with remote computation capabilities for the apps/files you need *that day*. I'd buy it, if it were under $1000. Think 12" PB G4 spec, with a smaller screen format. The price is possible, methinks. The support technologies are almost there too.