imac Rev. D

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I had given my parents my old 333 Rev. D iMac a couple of years ago and it is still running OS 9. My question is, can I install OS X on the original 6gb HD, or do I need to upgrade the HD??? There will be no interest in using OS 9 after this is done, so there will be no need to do any partitions. Please help...........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yes you can ... I plan to put X on a rev.D myself...

You might need more RAM. I would want atleast 256... but 128 will do. Also Video will be kinda slow and have a choppy look when moving windows around. Note that while your current drive will work a faster drive will improve overall speedy-ness.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Oh BTW,

Welcome to AI, Homer.

• Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks for the info \\/\\/ickes, when I do update the hard drive, I still have to partition the HD if it is bigger than 10gb right???

The max power episode is one of my favorite Simpsons..........
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Partitions are not necessary at all anymore. They can be helpful, but only if you need them. I have an 80 gig in my Cube and it is not partitioned. It wont hurt the drive at all. I would have partitioned the drives in my Sawtooth, but I just got multiple drives instead.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Partitions are not necessary at all anymore. They can be helpful, but only if you need them. I have an 80 gig in my Cube and it is not partitioned. It wont hurt the drive at all. I would have partitioned the drives in my Sawtooth, but I just got multiple drives instead.

Ummm ...

Sorry to do this to you DMBand0026, but yes the partitons are very important in the early iMacs (rev.A-rev.D tray loading) because of the IDE controller used.

If your drive is larger than 8 gigs then you need to partition it, If you plan to use the 6 gig hard drive currently installed you will be fine and will not need to partition at all, but if you upgrade the hard drive with one larger than 8 gigs then the first partition must be set less than 8 gigs for the iMac to boot off the drive.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Ummm ...

... than 8 gigs then the first partition must be set less than 8 gigs for the iMac to boot off the drive.

well, very interesting sidenotes at all, thank you very much indeed. maybe you saved my b**ls and brickets

btw: i am running panther with a g3350mhz blue one

7gig original hd, 2 partitions (4+3), runs like a champ

BUT 128 memory is way to optimistic;-)

In my case my iMac felt almost unusable, upgrading memory is a big must, at least 256, better 512. believe me, i walked through that kind of muddle.

best
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Glad I could be of help.