Transferring songs to new Powerbook

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I might finally be about to replace my existing iBook with the 12" Powerbook. However, my iMac holds my entire iTunes library of around 10GB worth of CDs. I want to take my laptop to uni, whilst leaving the iMac at home but I want my CDs with me. Is there anyway I can transfer my library to iTunes, by Firewire or Aiport or something? Rather than spending at least a day loading them all onto the new Powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Find a FireWire cable and plug the two computers together. Then turn off your iMac and reboot while holding down T key. Its hard drive will appear on PowerBook desktop and you can copy what you want, including iTunes library.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Firewire Target mode is the fastest method.

Quote:

Press and hold T just after you pressed the power button on your Mac and wait until you see the FireWire logo on the screen. This machine is now in Target Mode (in or out).

Now connect your Target Mode machine with a FireWire cable to any other Mac.

< Note: you will need a 6pin to 6pin cable for this, not a 6 to 4 like those for DV cameras >

And voilÃ*, your Target Mode machine appears as a drive on the other machine, with full access.

Throw the 'targeted' drive to the trash to eject it.

To finish, press the power button on your machine in Target Mode once.

Dig into the drive and move your "username/Music/iTunes/" folder across to overwrite the same folder on your new machine

.... uh, this won't work with .m4a music from iTMS unless you authorize the new PB to decode it

but for anything else, it should play fine.

fred's fingers are faster than mine, it seems
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thanks for that, I never even knew how to transfer from FireWire before, how embarrassing! My only concern, however, is that when I transferred my iTunes library to my iBook before it didn't seem to register when iTunes started, like it would if I'd done all the CDs by hand. Admittedly this was several versions ago, and I'm more than prepared to believe I was being incompetent, but would it definitely result in iTunes working as if all CDs were uploaded manually?

Many thanks for your swift reply!

Mike
  • Reply 4 of 9
    iTunes preferences allows you to specify the location of your music folder.

Might want to double-check it's referencing the new collection.

If you only bring the "iTunes Music" folder and not the "iTunes Music Library" database files living at the "iTunes" folder root, you'll need to run "Add to Library" from the file menu when you start iTunes for it to analyze your library and playlists
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

iTunes preferences allows you to specify the location of your music folder.

Might want to double-check it's referencing the new collection.

If you only bring the "iTunes Music" folder and not the "iTunes Music Library" database files living at the "iTunes" folder root, you'll need to run "Add to Library" from the file menu when you start iTunes for it to analyze your library and playlists

Thank you very much. Besides the cost, this was one of the main reasons for my holding back buying a new laptop - oh, and the constant rumours about the G5, but I don't think I want a larger or hotter laptop than the 12" Powerbook. So, now off to Current Hardware to check I'm making the right choice!

Thanks again.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

What about this?

http://www.unibrain.com/reviews/fw_vs_gbit.htm

While a new PB might come with Gigabit Ethernet, his iBook doesn't, so it's moot.

FW is still the fastest transfer choice.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mpw_amherst

Thanks for that, I never even knew how to transfer from FireWire before, how embarrassing! My only concern, however, is that when I transferred my iTunes library to my iBook before it didn't seem to register when iTunes started, like it would if I'd done all the CDs by hand. Admittedly this was several versions ago, and I'm more than prepared to believe I was being incompetent, but would it definitely result in iTunes working as if all CDs were uploaded manually?

Many thanks for your swift reply!

Mike

If you copy the Music folder from the iMac to your home directory, you'll be asked to overwrite the Music folder in your powerbook's home directory. Say yes and everything will move over, including your playlists. You'll be prompted with the initial startup dialog for iTunes setting up your preferences (connect to the internet automatically, search for music - say no to this one, etc). And then you're all done.

Again, this is what you do:

1) Turn off the iMac

2) Power on the iMac, holding the T key until you get the firewire screen

3) Connect the two computer via the firewire cable

4) Wait for the iMac's HD to mount on the powerbook

5) Find "iMac HD/Users/username/Music" on the iMac

6) Drag that folder over to "powerbook HD/Users/username/"

7) Say yes to overwriting the folder.

Make sure you're copying in the proper direction.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Make sure you're copying in the proper direction.

Critically important step!