iChat cuts out from time to time on wireless

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
on our Linksys 802.11g router, iChat cuts out from time to time. It is seemingly pretty random, but I'm sure there is something triggering it, don't know what it could be though.

it happens to my AIbook and my brothers iBook(g4)

it's not a HUGE deal, but often times I may be in the middle of a conversation, and I'll be typing bunch of stuff with no replies for a while, then 5 minutes later it till fail(I've started to catch on to when it has failed so I can reboot iChat earlier, but it's still a pain)

either way, it is totally fine when I plug into the router, it only happens when I'm wireless(which is most of the time if I can help it)

any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Huh. Are you still using the beta? No, that should've expired by now (I think). I used to have that problem with the beta, but it's gone now.

Not sure what's happening, maybe it's just Internet slowness or something...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It might be a problem with beta. A friend of mine is still using Jaguar and his iChat AV beta said that it would expire in two weeks (thats what it told him on December 31st). Are you using beta or do you have panther? It's possible that your connection is dropping out for some reason and iChat isn't reconnecting.

Edit: If you have an AlBook and an iBook G4 than your running Panther...so nix the beta idea. I would have to say that your connection is dropping out for some reason.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Panther, full version, yeah, I was thinking it could be interference from the 2.4 ghz phones we have, we have two upstairs and one downstairs, but I dunno.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Try unplugging the phones for a while and see if that fixes the problem. If you have wireless phones in the house I'm gonna guess that the problem is interference between the router and the phones.