Family Courts: Father sent to jail for telling son he is gay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Back in the closet for you



Quote:

As part of a divorce hearing, Hogue was barred from "exposing the child to his gay lovers and, or his gay lifestyle."



Is there anyone who doesn't see need for reform in the family courts yet? These courts are making all sort of crazy decisions and the only justification is that it is "for the children."



It's tyranny "for the children" in my book.



I know I posted something similar recently about a family court and college costs, and if a mod wants to merge the two that is fine. I just couldn't believe I read a court telling a man he could not tell his son his sexual orientation.



While offensive, what is even more offensive is that he was sent to jail for it!?! Something should definately be done about family courts and jail. There doesn't seem to be a process in place to determine true crimes being done but people are sent for one judge declaring they have violated an order, whether the order was right, wrong, constitutional or even possible to fulfill.



Something needs to be done.



Nick

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I am not an expert of family courts in america, but if there is really so many dumb cases, like the one you presented, there are really some problems here.



    I expect that it's rare. However, you have to remind something important about how the justice work. Justice is not perfect, and she is totally aware of this point. That's why she is build with differents layers.



    The judges in charge of the lower layers, are generally the less skilled ones and/or the less experienced (i don't know enough the US system to know this point), than the judge of appeal.

    And the supreme court is supposed to have the elite.



    When a dumb decision is corrected by the appeal, justice did not failed. The appeal court corrected the decision of the first court. If a similar case present itself in front in the first court, they should better act differently than the first time. Otherwise it may be bad for the carrer of the judge of the first court.



    At least it's the way it works in France. I don't think it's so different in USA.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    trumptman has a knack for findung these cases. i suspect he floats on a anti-family court thread somewhere in internet land.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    It is an area of interest, but I just think it sad that even if a later court rules correctly, like Powerdoc mentioned, that so many people can be thrown in jail without a charge, or without a trial.



    Nick
  • Reply 4 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trumptman

    It is an area of interest, but I just think it sad that even if a later court rules correctly, like Powerdoc mentioned, that so many people can be thrown in jail without a charge, or without a trial.



    Nick




    That's sad. For minor cases like this ones, people should not be thrown in jail until the court appeal take his decision. I insist on minor cases, not rape, violence ...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I was listening to Limbaugh the other day, and he was talking about some grandmother who was angry with her grandaughter and told her something like "take your stuff and go, i never want to see you again" and got thrown in jail for it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    One of the nicest families I have meet had their daughter taken for three months because a neighborhood girl made an insinuation about one of the three boys. The charge was never proven or filed against the son. They had three months of hoops to jump through regarding family counseling, etc. all for something that never happened. During that three months, her parents, who were never even alleged to have done anything wrong were not allowed to see their daughter even once. Not even a supervised visit.



    Or worse yet she could have been a statistic in that three months of foster care, mentioned in this article.



    LA County the countries worst



    Nick
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trumptman

    It is an area of interest, but I just think it sad that even if a later court rules correctly, like Powerdoc mentioned, that so many people can be thrown in jail without a charge, or without a trial.



    Nick




    it is the new america....just ask the thousands who are hidden away without lawyers, without contact of family, without any rights at all...it is probably a time to be truly frightened in this country from both the right and the left, and that is sad...the courts can throw you in jail for contempt (which is loosely defined) and the executive branch can basically "disappear" you for "suspected" terrorist ties (also loosely defined....Howard Dean and Wesley Clark could be held forever if the president sees them as a threat to the country...which he might if he thought he could lose the election...)



    still a great country, but i wonder more and more everyday...too bad the climate is so cold in canada...and all the hockey stuff makes you wonder...australia would be another thought, but they are soo freaking far away, and i still haven't forgiven them for that crocodile dundee export they inflicted on us





    g
  • Reply 8 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thegelding





    still a great country, but i wonder more and more everyday...too bad the climate is so cold in canada...and all the hockey stuff makes you wonder...australia would be another thought, but they are soo freaking far away, and i still haven't forgiven them for that crocodile dundee export they inflicted on us





    g




  • Reply 9 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Powerdoc





    Power did you read the full article? The father was let out of jail, but the ruling about him not being able to discuss or mention his homosexuality to his son was upheld. Do you think that is right?



    Nick
  • Reply 10 of 15
    i think powerdoc was laughing at me...



    i think both pd and i think the ruling is wrong...



    but then i think all dads in nashville should tell their children they are gay...might cut down on the horrid inbreeding over there and maybe also improve that nasty country music scene (lord knows they could use some gay fashion sense over there)..apologies to pscates in advance



    i think the courts and the churches and the governments should be more accepting of the wonderful gay people in our country...



    and i think they should be allowed to marry also...and raise kids...

    afterall, if marriage is so great, and having children is so great (and i believe both are wonderful things...being married almost 19 years and having two amazing daughters) then shouldn't we want everyone to do these things??



    g
  • Reply 11 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by trumptman

    Power did you read the full article? The father was let out of jail, but the ruling about him not being able to discuss or mention his homosexuality to his son was upheld. Do you think that is right?



    Nick




    I don't see why you quoted me. I quoted Thegelding finding it funny. I don't see any connection with what are you talking about.



    As i said, at the light of your quotes there is silly thing in US courts. But as a foreigner i will not insist on this point, afterall i am not here to bash USA
  • Reply 12 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,454member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by thegelding

    i think powerdoc was laughing at me...



    i think both pd and i think the ruling is wrong...



    but then i think all dads in nashville should tell their children they are gay...might cut down on the horrid inbreeding over there and maybe also improve that nasty country music scene (lord knows they could use some gay fashion sense over there)..apologies to pscates in advance



    i think the courts and the churches and the governments should be more accepting of the wonderful gay people in our country...



    and i think they should be allowed to marry also...and raise kids...

    afterall, if marriage is so great, and having children is so great (and i believe both are wonderful things...being married almost 19 years and having two amazing daughters) then shouldn't we want everyone to do these things??



    g




    True and what about when a family court could jail you, take your children and issue absurd orders with regard to them all on an accusation or insinuation. We've found the secret police and it is "for the children" or "the village" that wants to tell me how to raise them.



    Nick
  • Reply 13 of 15
    yes, both are bad, wouldn't you agree...courts telling you how to live, government throwing you in jail for suspicion ...all quite scary





    depends on who gets you...the right will tell me it is rare that the government will lock you up and throw away the key



    the "for the kids" people will tell me it is rare that the courts will lock you up and tell you how to raise your kids



    still, if it is you that is "picked on" by either, it will seem like 100%....



    sort of like when our heart kids get surgery...we tell the parents the chance of major complication is about 1 in a hundred...still if their kid is that 1 in 100 for them the chance of complication seems to be 100%...





    g
  • Reply 14 of 15
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Wow. It takes a heck of a lot more than that to get kids and parents separated up here. I believe life-threatening violence is about where the legal line is draw, and at that point the State will step in. Of course we could use a tougher judge like that down in Baltimore, cuz we seem to let lots of murders out.
Sign In or Register to comment.