YAY! - useful FIX for those with dead 2nd monitor in Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I discovered a GREAT fix for those who have a second Panther unsupported video card . . . . . I wasn't sure if this should go in the FAQ so I post it here and leave it up to the admin as to wether it is FAQ worthy

I have an ixmicro in my PCI slot, to get it to work I did the following:

Logged in as root (see the FAQ for instructions . . . and notice the instruction for putting in the password twice in netinfo manager)

once in root then: open the Terminal and type in:

sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=0"

<enter admin password>

*reboot*

sudo nvram boot-args="romndrv=1"

<enter admin password>

*reboot*

Saved me US Dollars that I was going to spend on a new PCI graphics card

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    well, anyway, this worked for awhile then stopped working

also UT would only play on the second monitor and then stopped working entirely . . . . though I think that has somethng to do with a mod that I downloaded . . .

but it did work for awhile . . . . think I'll spend on another PCI card anyway . . . .
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

well, anyway, this worked for awhile then stopped working

also UT would only play on the second monitor and then stopped working entirely . . . . though I think that has somethng to do with a mod that I downloaded . . .

but it did work for awhile . . . . think I'll spend on another PCI card anyway . . . .

how long was this working for?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    It worked for a couple of days and restarts . . . I think it stopped because I booted to an OS 10.2 volume for a while then ran UT and ran into some problems with that program on the 10.2 volume . . . when I went back, tha thack wasn't working anymore

one thing was that the reason that I went to that other volume was that when I opened UT in Panther it played only on the second monitor . . .

Hmmm . . . its probably a fine hack and if I do much DPublishing or need the 'palette' monitor for any reason I'll just do it again . .