Need a new ISP-any ideas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Damn AOL! I just started using Panther, installed AOL for OSX and really like the new features, and the email is vastly improved. Performance is pretty good also.

Problem-trying to update Panther to 10.3.2, about a 35Mb download, AOL gets cut off. Now, I have always had problems downloading large files with AOL for 9.0 but I thought it would be improved with the new version. What am I doing with a ISP that wont let me use it? Unbelievable. Anyone else use AOL and know a way around this? If not, who should I switch to? Netzero, Earthlink, etc? I considered trying optimum online from cablevision but I am going to move to san diego within a year and I dont want to have to change my email addy twice (cablevision doesnt operate in cali) Time Warner operates there an i would get AOL broadband through them so I was hoping to stick to AOL until then. But they just pissed me off big time.

Damn it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    earthlink usually has ISP deals with TW so you can use them as your ISP for cable

as an added bonus you get unlimited dial-up in addition to broadband
  • Reply 2 of 11
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

earthlink usually has ISP deals with TW so you can use them as your ISP for cable

as an added bonus you get unlimited dial-up in addition to broadband

Ill have to look into that, thanks. Its a shame, though, AOL for OSX seems to be very peppy. I actually like it, except for the downloading problem which is unacceptable
  • Reply 3 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    no, the shame is that you are still using AOL in 2004
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

no, the shame is that you are still using AOL in 2004

I was waiting for that
  • Reply 5 of 11
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Call Level 3, have them run an OC-12 line into your house, and start your own!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I was waiting for that

Yea...that should have been expected. No go out and do something about it!!! Get as far away form AOL as you can. Than, get broadband and never look back.

Edit: Forgot to put this in...

When I was using AOL a few years ago, it sucked, but I didn't think I could afford broadband. Than, after looking at it more closely, I realized that I was paying more for AOL than I would be for broadband. AOL is now at a hugely rip-offish price of $23.99 USD a month. With the extra phone line I had ($25 USD a month, I think) as well as the additional phone charges, it added up to somewhere in the area of $55 a month. I now have a 500kbps/256 cable line and have never been happier. The best part is: $39 USD a month. I get great speed, always on connection, I save $15-20 USD a month and, I never have to use AOL again!!!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Yea...that should have been expected. No go out and do something about it!!! Get as far away form AOL as you can. Than, get broadband and never look back.

Edit: Forgot to put this in...

When I was using AOL a few years ago, it sucked, but I didn't think I could afford broadband. Than, after looking at it more closely, I realized that I was paying more for AOL than I would be for broadband. AOL is now at a hugely rip-offish price of $23.99 USD a month. With the extra phone line I had ($25 USD a month, I think) as well as the additional phone charges, it added up to somewhere in the area of $55 a month. I now have a 500kbps/256 cable line and have never been happier. The best part is: $39 USD a month. I get great speed, always on connection, I save $15-20 USD a month and, I never have to use AOL again!!!

Well, cablevision is more expensive but you do have a point. The thing that annoys me is that AOL for OSX seems to work really well. Its very fast-faster than I expected. The email features are great also.

Oh well, if I cant download updates than its worthless to me. If not broadband than I will most likely go with earthlink. At least Apple owns part of them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Convince your neighbor to use an unsecured wireless network.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I dont need to switch from AOL anymore. AOL tech solved the problem believe it or not. Turns out Apple has OSX pre-set in their network settings to cut off after 10 minutes of idle time! Why on earth would they do that, and why on earth would they make it so difficult to switch that off?

In any case, Ill stick with AOL for the time being.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I dont need to switch from AOL anymore. AOL tech solved the problem believe it or not. Turns out Apple has OSX pre-set in their network settings to cut off after 10 minutes of idle time! Why on earth would they do that, and why on earth would they make it so difficult to switch that off?

In any case, Ill stick with AOL for the time being.

Doesn't AOL have everyone set to cut them off after 10 min of idle time? I didn't think that was OS X specific. But I can't stress this next part enough: GET RID OF AOL!!! You will never regret it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Doesn't AOL have everyone set to cut them off after 10 min of idle time? I didn't think that was OS X specific. But I can't stress this next part enough: GET RID OF AOL!!! You will never regret it.

Actually AOL does, or did, have that window pop up if idle for 10 minutes. I sent them a nasty email and now I never get the popup anymore! Unfortunately its specific to one access number, so apparently they can control that from the home office. If that ever starts happening again, I will leave and never return. I dont know why AOL doesnt realize that thats why they lose customers. The software is working great and so is the email, etc. Keep me connected and keep me as a customer. I have a Earthlink CD just in case!............