LCD problems AAAARGH!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After three years (and no Applecare), my TiBook LCD finally bit it. I've got a vertical single pixel-width line of stuck pixels (both red and green compnents are stuck) two thirds of the way across my screen. I thought pixels in active matrix LCDs had individual transistors. How can I lose a whole line? And two colors? Is there any way to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My TiBook has 1 stuck/dead pixel and I haven't had any luck in finding a way to fix it, so I've been living with it. I don't think I've ever heard of a whole row going and I don't know how you could deal with that.

If it's an original TiBook (at 3 years, it sounds like it is), you could always try the $700 trade-in program and upgrade to a 15 inch or 17 inch AlBook. $1299 for a new 1 GHz 15" PowerBook isn't so bad if you can't get your PowerBook fixed. \

On a side note, I *just* ordered the AppleCare Protection plan for my TiBook since I finally saved up the cash to get the extended warranty. I always planned on buying it after the issues with my Pismo, but just didn't have the cash. Working over the semester break gave me the extra bit I needed to finally place the order. I've found AppleCare to be well worth it.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help you fix your screen. If not, you could always hook the computer up to a CRT and work off an external keyboard and mouse if the dead pixels are really bugging you.

Edit: Remembered you were in HK. I'm not sure if there are any trade in programs outside the US.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I've got a vertical single pixel-width line of stuck pixels (both red and green compnents are stuck) two thirds of the way across my screen.

I'm not an expert on LCD displays, but that sounds like a broken connection to a set of pixels, instead of the actual pixels dying. Have someone look at it because it may be an easy fix. (Cross-fingers)

My pismo has a display problem where the connection between the graphic card and the LCD is corroding. Turns out if you have two different metals making contact, (copper, zinc, gold, aluminum) corrosion builds up faster. Here is the cool part: In the case of my display, the screen uses voltage differential to change the pixels to another color. This corrosion that built up worked with the metal connetcors to build tiny capacitors that hold a charge and confuses my screen. Sometimes the color blue maxes out to 100%.

The way I fix it is I remove the battery, unplug the power and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. You may try it, but your problem sounded a little different. No harm in trying.

• Reply 3 of 5
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yea have someone look at the connection. I have never seen an entire row of pixles go dead in an LCD. The good news is that you still have color, so you haven't blown or short-circuited anything.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Sorry to make light of your situation because it isn't cool but perhaps someone is just playing a joke on you running a program that displays the red line over everything.

That would be a good trick to pull on someone no?

Again sorry, I know it sucks, I hope you the best!