Two internet connections...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have both a wireless (via Software-ABS) and wired (via BC's network) internet connections... is there anyway for me to specify certain applications (like Mail, AIM, and Safari) to use the wireless connection so I can optimize my wired connection for BitTorrent?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I have both a wireless (via Software-ABS) and wired (via BC's network) internet connections... is there anyway for me to specify certain applications (like Mail, AIM, and Safari) to use the wireless connection so I can optimize my wired connection for BitTorrent?

To my little knowledge, no. But wouldn't that be awesome?!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I found a way to do it for AIM, but it involves me disconnecting from the wired connection and signing on and off...

I guess the same might work for mail... but I'm not too sure about safari and thats where most of the bandwidth is stolen from...

heh and realistically... they are both on the same switch so I don't think it will really matter that much... (the software base station is plugged into BC's network as well...)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What speeds are you getting that you feel your connection is limited. To be honest for some reason, it seems when I'm doing other stuff my internet goes faster then when I'm not...it's very odd. It doesn't have to be internet related though.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You could theoretically route different ports to different interfaces, but this is a non-trivial exercise, and requires a bit of work on the command line.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

You could theoretically route different ports to different interfaces, but this is a non-trivial exercise, and requires a bit of work on the command line.

got any suggestions? or ways to do this