I think that they have excellent, skilled programmers working on Windows...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
... and I also think they get sadistic pleasure out of tormenting their users. As a Windows user myself*, I frequently get frusterated with the stupidity of the Windows operating system. However, this story takes the proverbial cake.

I was playing "ctrl-alt-del roulette"** with a friend of mine, who was getting a huge kick out of it, because he is a mac user, when a message pops up saying something to the effect of: You have one minute to save all your work and prepare for shutdown.

So I frantically save my homework I'd been working on previously, and try to get a screenshot of the error message (I was too late). Meanwhile my friend is rolling on the floor, doubled up in laughter. Once my computer had shut down, I started to think. Why would my computer randomly do this? That question had an easy answer: I had deleted some important thing. However, I was still wondering: How could my computer remain usable enough to allow me to save my work for a whole minute, and yet still not allow me to abort the shut down? I don't think it was really struggling to stay alive for that crucial minute, if so the error message would have been more frantic: "OMG!!!1 Teh compuetr are teh no worxorz! sAVE yuor stuf huryr!!!!!!!1" It even gave me a fancy countdown sequence to zero in the little window of doom.

Anyone have an answer for a Windows user such as myself? If not, can I please have a cookie?

*Please let's not get into a "Macs are more better!" "Nuh-uh!" thing here.

**What, you mac users haven't heard of it? You simply force quit applications while blindfolded until someone crashes the computer. Great party game.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    \

Ok well I understand where you are comming from... but there is just two things I'd like to say:

1) ctrl-alt-del roulette is a BIG no-no! Don't just kill services if you don't know what they do. As a Semi-Windows user I know that any MS user worth his salt knows which process/service is which and how not to kill off the wrong one. Sure if you see "connectionToPr0n.exe" you can end its life without a worry but you need to learn who does what in windows land before you play God with processes' lives.

2) Welcome to AI
  • Reply 2 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well I have to admit, I never considered that as a game. Now I know how to pass the time between 4:30 and 5 (with the potential bonus of leaving early with a good excuse).
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The idea that you *COULD* crash the computer that way is just...

*Do you have any idea how fscking stupid that is on the part of the OS designers??????*

Dear *LORD*.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, DUMB!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

--snip--

*Do you have any idea how fscking stupid that is on the part of the OS designers??????*

--snip--

No. It is there for "power" users who know what they are doing. It is no different then the "ps -A" + "kill -9 [PID]" we could use.

Windows just lets you do your dirty work in less keystrokes.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Is it available to the average user with no warning?

Is it triggered the same way one would kill off a normal app?

Yes to either = fscking stupid.

"Okay, there are 10 switches on your dashboard, which run your headlights, your windshield wipers, your radio, and one that blows up your engine. Which is which? Oh, just play with them, you'll figure it out..."
  • Reply 6 of 18
    its getting tough to tell the sarcasm from the just plain sad

In many earlier OS, from Win9x to OS9, a crash could sometimes lock up the whole system.

Crashes under some versions of OS X (been a while since i had one ) said something like:

"Blah has experienced a fatal error and will terminate immediately.

The system and all other application will be unaffected.

Would you like to continue Y/N?"

The first time i saw that i remember cheering for Unix foundations.

Force Quit of even the finder is something you'd never do before OS X, now 'tis no big thing.

Stability is good.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

its getting tough to tell the sarcasm from the just plain sad

In many earlier OS, from Win9x to OS9, a crash could sometimes lock up the whole system.

Yup, but even under the instability what was OS9, we were never handed the ability to randomly kill off *NECESSARY* processes for the OS to continue.

I mean, really, how stupid do you have to be to screw this up so badly?

Good lord. This is precisely the sort of thing that MS excels at...

"Let's give the power users the ability to kill off any process!" <- OK, fine.

"Let's give the average user the ability to kill off applications that hang!" <- OK, fine.

"Since these are just the same thing, let's make them look the same and have the same UI, with no warnings!" <- Stupid.

Note that Cmd-opt-esc only shows you the application level processes. To really get into the guts, to kill off necessary processes, you have to know more about the system. Think of it like an entrance exam... if you don't know *how* to do it, you probably shouldn't be *trying* it. An easy and simple interface is an important goal - as long as it doesn't hand the user enough rope to hang themselves without warning.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    didnt the blaster worm do something like that? it would send a command to the computer to shut down, and then the computer would alert the user that the workstation would be shutting down in one minute
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Yes, if you're getting anything like an RPC error and a 60 second countdown to shutdown, it's quite likely that you have either the Blaster or the Winshell worm. Update your Windows and virus protection files, scan, and, all else failing, go to the Symantec website to find a fix.

You do a disservice to yourself and to every other PC user connected to the internet if you do not keep your OS and virus protection up to date and clean off any infections immediately.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    You got a Blaster virus.

Contact your AntiVirus software manufacturer.

• Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Is it available to the average user with no warning?

Is it triggered the same way one would kill off a normal app?

Yes to either = fscking stupid.

"Okay, there are 10 switches on your dashboard, which run your headlights, your windshield wipers, your radio, and one that blows up your engine. Which is which? Oh, just play with them, you'll figure it out..."

No, a warning is given before you comfirm the process kill. The average user skips over the warnings and just clicks ok. Also note that non-admin users can not kill system processes, they can only kill ones that they have started, but the defult user is an admin user unless otherwise changed.

and

Yes, it is in the same context to which one would kill off a normal app, but if you know what you are doing (and which app to kill) why would this matter?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Because, as you said, the average user just clicks OK, ignoring the warnings. And, almost by definition, the average user isn't going to know what processes are okay to kill. After all, they're all listed, right? And, as you also point out, the default user has the privileges to kill system-level processes.

a + b + c = fscking stupid to present it to the user in that fashion. I mean for cripes sake, make it at least a *little* harder for the average user to not shoot themselves in the foot. Repeatedly.

Oh but wait. That would gut the multi-billion dollar MS *support* industry. Can't have *that*. Grrr.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    To be fair, Apple gives users, especially single users (who are admin users by default), the ability to do stuff like kill the windowserver and other critical processes.

However, it would have to be done through the Activity Viewer, not the standard force quit dialog (people complained about this some time ago too). The Activity Viewer app also by default presents only the user processes, and you have to choose to display "all processes" or some superset of the user processes, and then kill the process (double clicking doesn't work any more either) and confirm the kill. Sounds complicated, but actually I do find Activity Viewer to be a nice app in Panther. I leave it in my Dock.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    -
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

I think that they have excellent, skilled programmers working on Windows..

OK
  • Reply 16 of 18
    People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered. Love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Do good anyway. If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway. The biggest person with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest person with smallest ideas. Think big anyway. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. People really need help but may attack if you help them. Help anyway. Give the world the best you have and you might get kicked in the teeth. Give you world the best you've got anyway.--Apple Computer anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yo.

In Windows land, things are not as clear cut as you'd like them to be. If you were gonna "fully separate" the OS and the apps, would you let users kill and restart Windows Explorer easily, or not? That's something I need to do every two weeks.

On the other hand, both on the "better kinds of" Windows and on OS X it would be very, very wise to make an admin account and an user account, and only use them for the uses they are for. Mebbe both OS's should actually guide the user to do that?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

You do a disservice to yourself and to every other PC user connected to the internet if you do not keep your OS and virus protection up to date and clean off any infections immediately.

Ah, that explains it. Thank you.