Cthulu

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got my first collection of H.P.Lovecraft stories in the mail today. I think that I am going to be very afraid to go to spleep at night.

VERY afraid to spleep.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I like my Cthulu religion, and here is why...

• Reply 2 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yog'sothoth! N'aaaaarrrrrrrrrlotep!

Beware the colors of space!

Lovecraft was a god.

An evil twisted little god, but a god nonetheless.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I like my Cthulu religion, and here is why...

I can't wait to be eaten first!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Dammit, man, get in line!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

I can't wait to be eaten first!

I thought the whole point of worshiping Cthulu was in the hope that you might get eaten last?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I forget the name of the unspeakable
  • Reply 7 of 18
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Quick foray off-topic (note: I go back on-topic below)

Exposure to other religions and proto-myths make an easy assault on a person's pre-existing beliefs and religious convictions. I'm sure that many people who read and watched TV programs by Joseph Campbell began to question and perhaps even abandon their own faiths when exposed to the existence of some of the stories (the great flood, eating flesh to become immortal [think: Christ], and several more) BUT they really aren't a thread that can be pulled which will automatically jerk a person's religious convictions down around their ankles.

Faith's lifetime companion is Doubt, which is what makes Faith so much more a challenge and a blessing to those that have it. Lovecraft's loss/lack of faith at that early age has ultimately resulted in a glimpse into a hell that makes for good reading. An unfortunate exchange for his soul~

Back on-topic:

Lovecraft's mythos is going to be one mega-thrillride nonetheless. I think that it's going to have been spoiled just a tad by all the movies and TV shows which have borrowed (stolen? ) him over the years. Aren't the Silurians from Doctor Who an homage to the Lovecraft stories? I think they are. I know that I'll spot other sci-fi and fantasy thiefs as I read this book....
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Hello Cthulhu

• Reply 9 of 18
    Welcome to McThulu. May I take your order? Would you like extra Sauce Which Must Not Be Named? Please drive through. IAA! IAA!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Hello Cthulhu

Love it!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Holy Shamoley, PLEASE don't let Eddie Izzard be Dr. Who!!!!!! He's a funny comedian, but dangit, he's not Dr. Who.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

And that guy who does those dark graphics that were all the rage for computer games in the 90's - can't remember name.

I think you're probably thinking about H. R. Giger.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Holy Shamoley, PLEASE don't let Eddie Izzard be Dr. Who!!!!!! He's a funny comedian, but dangit, he's not Dr. Who.

Don't worry, it was a hoax.

Blast it all, anyway. He would have been wonderful.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Quick foray off-topic (note: I go back on-topic below)

Exposure to other religions and proto-myths make an easy assault on a person's pre-existing beliefs and religious convictions. I'm sure that many people who read and watched TV programs by Joseph Campbell began to question and perhaps even abandon their own faiths when exposed to the existence of some of the stories (the great flood, eating flesh to become immortal [think: Christ], and several more) BUT they really aren't a thread that can be pulled which will automatically jerk a person's religious convictions down around their ankles.

Faith's lifetime companion is Doubt, which is what makes Faith so much more a challenge and a blessing to those that have it. Lovecraft's loss/lack of faith at that early age has ultimately resulted in a glimpse into a hell that makes for good reading. An unfortunate exchange for his soul~

I'm sorry, but I find that extremely arrogant. Some guy doesn't agree with you so he's lost his "soul"? And what proof do you have that you're right?

Religion is just opinion. Nothing more. And it deserves to be given no more weight than any person's other opinions.

Kirk
  • Reply 15 of 18
    For you religion is "just an opinion", for me it's the security of an everlasting soul. We disagree, but it's really funny that you're pouting at me, the Magnificent Bastard, about being "arrogant".

We're both off-topic.

This is Cthulu Chat, next caller please!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    MrThulu, arm the photon torpedoes!!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    It's worth it: Tales of the Plush Cthulhu

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html