Booting off a FW PCI card?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know of a PCI FW card that supports booting?

Reason I ask is that I have a special situation where my old Yikes! G4 which won't boot off firewire has all of its drive bays occupied. When my DVD-ROM drive died last year, a 10,000 RPM 18GB Seagate Cheetah moved into its place. I have no optical drives now, save the external FW DVD-ROM (same model as Apple's early Superdrives).

So, does anyone have any experience booting off a FW PCI card? Is so, what model?

Without this, I will probably be forced to boot off an external SCSI CD-ROM drive the next time I want to install system software...sheesh!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    why don't you mount the newer DVD drive internally and replace the broken one?

edit: I didn't see that part about the chetah drive in the CD's spot...

that really is your best bet... to put the DVD internally...

you could then get an external case for your chetah drive...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I can't put the DVD-ROM inside the computer because I would lose the portability of the drive...also, I've got a huge SCSI drive that currently occupies the 5.25 inch bay. I might have to do that though whenever I want to install system software. Sucks..no firewire booting and no NetBoot out of the box on my machine.

Anyone else tried booting off an external PCI card's firewire?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you could possibly mod the 3.5 slot in your case to allow a fullsize drive... but that still doesn't address your question....

I would poke around on www.xlr8yourmac.com they usually have good info on these types of things...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I guess I'll probably just dust off an old SCSI CD-ROM drive when I really need to boot off a CD.