the iBook G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i have a question.

is the iBook G4 on a G3 or a G4 logic board, i'm thinking it's probably on a G3 Logic board with a G4 processor, but i'm not sure

so, let me know

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what is the difference?

the iBook G4 has DDR ram so at the very least they had to change that...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what is the difference?

the iBook G4 has DDR ram so at the very least they had to change that...

Which makes one onder why it's still "limited" by the soldered on 128 instead of having their baseline 256 all in there and leaving an expansion slot open. Marketing?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Which makes one onder why it's still "limited" by the soldered on 128 instead of having their baseline 256 all in there and leaving an expansion slot open. Marketing?

yeah, i know, why is that?!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

anyone?

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the iBook G4 carries the logic board from the revision A model of the 12 inch PowerBook G4. They are identical as far as I can tell, save for the graphic processor.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

First generation 12" Powerbooks had the same amount of memory (128 MB) soldered on. Now, the second generation has 256 MB soldered, so the iBook cannot have the same. As DanMacMan points out, it is quite possible that the motherboard too is exactly the same (that is Powerbook 12" first generation vs. iBook G4), except the graphics chip which we know it is different.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

it is quite possible that the motherboard too is exactly the same (that is Powerbook 12" first generation vs. iBook G4), except the graphics chip which we know it is different.

Is it just as simple as swapping out a chip on the motherboard? Since the graphics cards are integrated I would think it would be more complicated. If it isn't than that makes a lot of sense, if it is then I would think they'd change the memory config too, unless they just need to get rid of a bunch of 128 modules. Especially since iBook owners in general are less likely to upgrade their memory later on their own. I imagine most don't unless someone like us tells them it's a good idea.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

First generation 12" Powerbooks had the same amount of memory (128 MB) soldered on. Now, the second generation has 256 MB soldered, so the iBook cannot have the same.

why couldn't the iBook have the same amount??? is that just because the iBook can't be equal to the PB in basically any way?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

why couldn't the iBook have the same amount??? is that just because the iBook can't be equal to the PB in basically any way?

Because it's $400 cheaper? People always want something for nothing.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Something like that. Apple don't want to have a consumer machine upgreadable to the point a pro machine is. And when we talk about notebooks, the only user-installable parts (without voiding warranty) are the memory and the Airport card.

Otherwise, the iBook and the 12" Powerbook have more or less the same screen quality (not that good, compared to the bigger Powerbooks and many PC laptops).
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Something like that. Apple don't want to have a consumer machine upgreadable to the point a pro machine is. And when we talk about notebooks, the only user-installable parts (without voiding warranty) are the memory and the Airport card.

Otherwise, the iBook and the 12" Powerbook have more or less the same screen quality (not that good, compared to the bigger Powerbooks and many PC laptops).

i see, thanks
  • Reply 12 of 20
    No, they redesigned the board. They were aware of the logic board issue, and did fix it.

But come on, you can see it's different! New RAM type, faster system bus, 4X AGP, Airport Extreme support..
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeilwerthReborn

No, they redesigned the board. They were aware of the logic board issue, and did fix it.

But come on, you can see it's different! New RAM type, faster system bus, 4X AGP, Airport Extreme support..

i know it's different, and i'm glad, still, i think i'm gonna get a pb
  • Reply 14 of 20
    That's cool. I myself couldn't justify the extra $400 for a quicker processor and lesser video card. I like the iBook styling better, too (yeah, I know I'm crazy). The 12" PowerBook just doesn't seem rugged enough to survive me.

Just FYI, it's ridiculously expensive at this point, but you can take the iBook to 1152 MB RAM with a 1 GB SO-DIMM from Trans-International. $375 right now, but that's already dropped $200 from $575 in just a few months. In a few more months, it may be a reasonable upgrade.

And, the simple Applescript still unlocks video spanning on the iBook G4. Unfortunately, it may void your warranty.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    I was seriously contemplating selling my beloved iBook 466, until I thought more about the assorted problems plaguing iceBook G3 users (logic board and video cable). People have gone through hell with these machines, yet Apple isn't acknowledging there is any problem. And I can't even begin to fathom the PR nightmare Apple will face once all those iBooks sold to schools start going down. Some are of the opinion that widespread unit failures are a fact of life, but I must disagree vehemently with such sentiments. Sure, hard drives fail every so often; that is to be expected whenever you're working with a mechanical device. Logic boards, however, are solid state and simply should not be prone to failure in large quantities. Logic boards are not disposable items, and people rightly expect them to last.

Everyone reports that the iBook G4 is using the 12" PB's logic board, which is a really good thing, but I'm still concerned about it. People have stated that one of the causes of the iceBook G3's failures was that the case would stress the logic board when picked up. How can we be certain that design flaw has been corrected? Additionally, people are reporting the iBook G4 has the same video cable layout as its predecessor. If that's the case, then we can certainly expect the iBook G4s to begin failing in about a year. With Apple obfuscating by resorting to plausible deniability and "blame the consumer" tactics, I'm pretty leery of such a purchase. My iBook is aging, but it is a rock solid machine.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Well, I believe the logic board issue was fixed. A poster on Apple's support forums said that he actually got the sales rep to admit that Apple was aware of the previous problems, and "moved stuff around in the case" to fix it. Probably fixing the case stressing the logic board issue.

I think it's obvious that Apple is aware of the issues, and would do everything in their power to fix it in the redesign. They know they're going to have a class-action lawsuit on their hands very soon if more iBooks are afflicted, and wouldn't want that to happen again.

You noticed in the quarterly broadcast that Apple lost a lot of money to "higher than expected warranty repairs", right? They know they lose money when these things happen. They'd rather fix the design flaws than the broken machines.

Nonetheless, I got three years of AppleCare, just in case.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

is the iBook G4 on a G3 or a G4 logic board, i'm thinking it's probably on a G3 Logic board with a G4 processor, but i'm not sure

The iBook G4 will have (drumroll) a G4 logic board: the G3 uses the same 60x bus as the pre-G3 CPUs (eg the 601, 603, 604 etc) just clocked faster, but the G4 uses the faster and more efficient MPX (which is starting to look a bit long in the tooth itself these days).

Quote:

That's cool. I myself couldn't justify the extra $400 for a quicker processor and lesser video card.

The nVidia 5200 has a larger (3D relevant) feature set than the ATI 9200 (it supports DirectX 9 rather than just 8, dunno what OpenGL features this corresponds to on the Mac). The 9200 is a bit of a dubious name, as it implies that the card supports DirectX 9 (as all of the other 9x00 cards do) but it doesn't.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeilwerthReborn

And, the simple Applescript still unlocks video spanning on the iBook G4. Unfortunately, it may void your warranty.

what applescript?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

what applescript?

Ye olde applescript

The "Screen Spanning Doctor" hypertext on that page takes you to the download.

I just applied it to my own iBook G4 a few hours ago, works great so far.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

The nVidia 5200 has a larger (3D relevant) feature set than the ATI 9200 (it supports DirectX 9 rather than just 8, dunno what OpenGL features this corresponds to on the Mac). The 9200 is a bit of a dubious name, as it implies that the card supports DirectX 9 (as all of the other 9x00 cards do) but it doesn't.

That'd be great if the Mac supported DirectX. From tests I've seen between the 1 GHz iBook and 12" PB, the Radeon outdoes the nVidia.