"G" for Gateway "G" for Gone ???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dell, IBM, Hp/Compaq, Apple, Others All look strong

Gatway

What is going on with this stock ??!!??

Ouch!!!

From CNBC.com

Stock: Currently at 4.50 (52 week low 2.02)

3 Year chart: Was around 24, and has gone down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down UP UP down down down down

Whats going on with the company/stock -Gone within the next 2 years? Think HP/Compaq will take over?

I took a visit to their website:, Although I would Never buy one- alot of the products look half way good...

So whats to scoop on Gatway?? Damage from Dell?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Gateway's being undersold by Dell, and their response has been to jump into the cutthroat consumer electronics market with a price-cutting strategy.

They actually do make pretty good stuff now, which, considering the manifest incompetence of their early PCs is pretty impressive. But nobody's beating Dell. Really, the only hope is that Dell's increasingly dodgy quality control starts driving people away before Gateway disappears.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Gatway

umm, not to be a dick, but its Gateway
  • Reply 3 of 11
    All tech stocks are still on the low side right now. But Amorph is correct. It's due to smaller earnings related directly to Gateway being outsold by its competitors. Thats how the world works, you don't make money, people sell your stock. I don't think Gateway will bite the dust, but we shall see. Dell's prices are too good to beat right now, but again, like Amorph said, the quality issue is still there.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

umm, not to be a dick, but its Gateway

WOW, I did it more than once!!!

yes, lol, it's Gateway!

Unless if they had to sell the E
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, it's not always good when you're having to warn analysts that you'll be reporting earnings at the low end of your forecasts, especially when your forecast is for negative earnings

Heck, their revenues will be less than half of Apple's for the quarter.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040106/tech_..._stocks_4.html

Quote:

Instead, Neff pointed out, the Poway, California, company said on Monday that it expects to report revenue of about $880 million, down from its previous forecast of $925 million to $975 million.

The company, which had foreseen a loss of 9 cents to 15 cents per share, said it now expects to report an operating loss at the low end of that range. Several Wall Street research analysts cut their estimates to a loss of 15 cents per share from an earlier consensus of 12 cents per share.

Gateway blamed the shortfall not only on promotions by competitors that analysts said ate into its market share, but also on difficulty in obtaining media center PCs and high-definition television models from its suppliers.

• Reply 6 of 11
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    This is a lesson for all those Cheep Whinny Geek® out there. This is what happens when you try and compete with Dell on cost. Gateway has been in the patented Apple Death Spiral? for a few years now and it doesn't look like they are coming out of it any time soon. Low margins+commodidity+massive leases=death for Gateway. I can't wait to see another PC maker go under, while Apple just keeps on keeping on.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Gatway

What is going on with this stock ??!!??

Ouch!!!

From CNBC.com

Stock: Currently at 4.50 (52 week low 2.02)

3 Year chart: Was around 24, and has gone down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down down UP UP down down down down

Whats going on with the company/stock -Gone within the next 2 years? Think HP/Compaq will take over?

I took a visit to their website:, Although I would Never buy one- alot of the products look half way good...

So whats to scoop on Gatway?? Damage from Dell?

no its ok they make TVs now too what a joke that is

they suck...end of story
  • Reply 8 of 11
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Yeah, stock-wise you should refer to them as Getaway.

Screed ...Word games is fun... are fun...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The Mad Cow Crisis claims yet another victim.

Live by the cow, die by the cow.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

The Mad Cow Crisis claims yet another victim.

Live by the cow, die by the cow.

8)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Poway, California? Argh! I didn't know that! ~_~ That's walking distance from here. And I have a friggin Intel building down the street from here. >.< I swear, San Diego is hell at times.

- Xidius