IBM Compilers just released! Implications for G5 Speed Gains?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.macnn.com/news/22926

And there's a link to a Macnn thread/discussion.

On certain code, some folks are getting a 4:1 performance boost over a Pentium 2.6!

Will Apple recompile Mac OS 'X' with the 'safe setting' of XLC?

Ie one that doesn't cut out G3 owners? But could Apple produce a G5 'patch' that is super optimised for G5 owners? Or would that break Photoshop or misc' stuff?

I noticed something about compiler version 8.1. Hmmm, wasn't the Rev B PowerMac coded named 8,1 according to Kasper?

Intriguing.

I wonder if this announcement coincides with the pending speed bump?

A joint IBM/Apple announcement? (In the Macnn thread, apparently, it's stated by IBM that this compiler is specifically for 'X' and the G5!)

A compiler speed bump of 40-50% enables a 2 gig 970 to perform like a 3 gig machine?! (Some of the time. I guess these kinda of speed ups depend on parallel code optimised for the G5's parallel architecture?)

Add XLC to the Rev B update? Surely dual 2.6 on XLC would smoke Pentium ass?

Will Apple, Adobe etc take advantage of this? Or will Apple press the issue at WWDC? Or get stuck in via with the new compilers and announce them with the Rev B PMs?

edit: another thought. Intel have had decent compilers for their chips that make them (and Windows) look good in Spec tests. Is this IBM finally backing their own PPC chips so that PPC and 'X' can look good in Spec tests? This will surely add success to Apple PowerMac and G5 sales and add momentum (and incentive by IBM to vigourously/further develop PPC) to this resurgent PPC effort.

Lemon Bon Bon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think IBM has been making it clear from the beginning that they are going all the way with the revamped PPC. Moto-blow-ya let the whole thing fall down the tubes. As for all those questions I guess we'll find out soon enough wont we.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    pity its going to cost money...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

pity its going to cost money...

Were you planning on compiling your pr0n library for even quicker iPhoto scrolling performance?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Were you planning on compiling your pr0n library for even quicker iPhoto scrolling performance?

lol
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Only large companies will be able to use this. Also, I am pretty sure that I did not see Objective-C listed in the languages it can compile. This will probably help out on command line programs. Now how about a dnetc compiled for the G5????
  • Reply 6 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Good new, i hope that we will soon some soft recompiled especially for the G5.

However , this thread is not related to future hardware. I move it to general discussion.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Only large companies will be able to use this. Also, I am pretty sure that I did not see Objective-C listed in the languages it can compile. This will probably help out on command line programs. Now how about a dnetc compiled for the G5????

I'm pretty sure Objective C is a pretranslator which produces C code.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Objective-C was listed.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
  • Reply 10 of 11
    This looks good... but lets see some benchmarks!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I hope Vi gets optimized for G5.... mmmmmmmm