Purchase Advice: Digital Camera

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Another one of these, I know.

I've narrowed it down very much by now, after spending nearly a full day researching my options.

I was after:
  • 3 to 4 megapixel (but quickly decided on 4 MP after reading up on it and seeing prices)

• moderate zoom (3x optical is enough)

• relatively small (fitting a pant pocket, or at least a coat pocket)

• around or under 500 euro

• realistic memory options (I'm looking at you, MEMORY STICK!), preferably CF, but prices of SD have become feasible lately.

• a good degree of manual controls. Being honest, I'd have to admit that I have photographic aspiratons, and I have decided that I will and want to learn a lot more about photography from now on. So: aperture priority, shutter priority and/or full manual control are a VERY definite plus. Although: I hear that, e.g. aperture priority is very irrelevant on a camera with a CCD the size of small stamp, for you'll never be able to downsize your depth of field as much as on a large film based SLR.

• video: not that important, but still, it would be nice to be able to record something with sound, and/or large clips filling the memory card completely. Also: I like the feature where you can use your camera as a voice recorder, as for interviews and such. Handy if you have journalistic aspirations, which... you've guessed it.

• decent battery system (preferably charging in-camera, but a dedicated charger system, included with the camera, would be acceptable - I'm wary of AA battery systems, after owning my first digital camera, an HP Photosmart 620, for a year and some months). Also, the power supply would ideally be internationally capable (110-220 volts style), as I plan on leaving this flat land. I would be able to live with AA though, if it really came to it. They ARE cheaper, and I could probably find a decent international charger for it too. Of course: 4 AA batteries in a camera add a lot of weight to your pocket.

I found, in order of current importance:
  • Minolta Dimage G400 The current #1 on my list. It offers small size, good image quality, decent manual controls (no shutter priority, but full manual), it is claimed to be VERY fast, SD/MMC/MS compatibility, proprietary battery with charger, video & voice till the memory card is full, good price (445 euro currently) Downsides: I hear bad things about customer support, what's Minolta resale value?, underachiever in dim light situations, weak flash.

• Pentax Optio S4 lack of manual controls mainly (specifically aperture/shutter priority), and I'm afraid it may be too small for me (I am, after all, 6 foot 5 or something, and my hands show it), it is a public's darling, however, and offers most other features I want. Proprietary battery and charger. SD card.

• Canon Powershot A80 4x AA is not a plus to me. Also, I'm not too keen on their gimmicky variview smallish LCD thing. You can use it as webcam though (or so they claim), though video is limited to 30 secs.

• Nikon Cooplix 4300 no sound. A definite minus in my book. Good lcd though, but a bit thick at 52 mm, and I hear the battery doesn't last too long.

• Canon S50 Full manual controls, but pricier probably than I want, and a bit thick, though probably acceptable.

• Kodak DX 6440 Kodak... I severly mistrust them without good reason (probably). Also, they try to push their easyshare very heavily, putting a 'Share' button on an otherwise perfectly acceptable cam. The cam really looked good on paper, and I might be persuaded into one.

• Sony DSC-P10 Memory Stick, especially since this is a 5 MP cam. 'Nuff said.

My question: what would you pick, AND, the unknown factor: beyond the bare specks, how good do these machines perform in real life. Have any of you one of these? Can you comment? Especially on my current top contenders.

Also: how realistic is my quest for manual controls an a camera the size of an Altoids tin can (I've seen the Optio S4 in its can too much).

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'm in love with the specs of the Canon S50 right now, that's what I'd pick. My own Fuji 4700 has developed an appallingly short battery life and it uses rechargeable AAs. I need to talk to some more people to find out if it's a widespread phenomenon for these kinds of batteries to underperform or if the camera has developed a fault which drains the batteries like cheap beer.

No Murbot, I didn't call you.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Just went to the store for some hands-on experience... my list grew (and shrank somewhat).

Appears that Casio makes pretty full-featured, small and nice-looking digicams. But how do they stack up? The ones I saw (EX-Z4 and QV-R40) were very nice, with very well laid out buttons, and with a huge LCD on the EX-Z4.

The Nikon is now officially scrapped from my list, and I guess the Canon Powershot A80 is too.

I don't think I'm gonna go with the Powershot S50 either: it's ultimately too large and expensive.

Casio, you can't beat that size (unless you're called Pentax, of course), but again: mistrust: they are, after all, predominantly makers of cheap watches, or are they?

One important question I'd like to reiterate: how important is having features as aperture/shutter priority? Should I forget about those and just lay down the cash for Casio (which does offer white balance control and exposure compensation and the likes). Those who know, please speak up (Matsu?).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I've found Konica Minolta's upport in the US to be just fine, though I've also heard the bad stories about them. I have a DiMAGE A1 that I sent in for a repair a week ago and I already have it back, covered under warranty. It's odd that the G400 has the low light focus issues. The Z1 and especially the A1 are very good in low light. Minolta film cameras, well the SLrs anyway, have excellent resale values, but I have don't really know what the digital cameras are like in terms of resale. To get some idea, the DiMAGE A1 premiered at $1200 US in October and now sells for under $800 new, but that's mainly because of the Canon 300D and Pentax *istD at $1000 each forced non-interchangeable lens cameras down in value.

Full manual is where it's at, cat. 8)

Aperture prioirty is if you want the camera to mainly work on automatic but you want to control the depth of field. Shutter priority is for some action shots and some tricky low or high lighting situations, again all other thins being automatic. You can doo all of this with manual exposires, but it's not as fast to perform the adjustments since you have to do them yourself, therefore not usually suitable for action shots.

White balance control is very important in a digital camera, all the cameras should have it.

Exposure control is a shortcut for more precise aperture and shutter adjustments. It's like brightness and contrast in Photoshop as opposed ot using levels. They accomplish the same thing, but one offers more careful control.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    canon IXUS 400, no doubt. Best sub 5 megapixel compact camera around this year.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Full manual is where it's at, cat. 8)

Well, though your explanation is very informative, I have a grasp on what these features are, for the most part anyway. I am just wondering if they are worthwhile at all on a camera this small. Probably for my mind's peace.

I do have to say that the Minolta was somewhat of a disappointment in real life. It is a lot smaller than I thought (which is a good thing), but it's all funny shaped and the LCD is a bit small, which is perfectly okay until you see that honking screen on the Casio Exilim.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Check out the Canon Powershot S50 HERE

I've got one and its amazing!

Full manual control, compact, easy to use and very durable.

Picture quality is excellent and it can shoot in RAW format as well as jPeg.

Some very good prices on the internet too
  • Reply 7 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Damn you guys. I've been tossing around the idea of replacing my POS HP digital camera, and this thread is getting me going again.

I like the looks/specs of that Canon S50 too.

Damn.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Here's what I have:

http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/dsc/p...el/index.shtml

299 us, but I don't know what that is for euro

It's a great camera. I'm sure it's got all the manual features. If you're not sure, just go out to circuit city and test them out (got this from QVC)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I'm undecided to the point where it starts getting physically painful.

Let me ask you: that Powershot S50, how pocketable is it? I'm a bit afraid of its size. Of course, CF makes for great savings, and I might find it for cheap on the net. I guess I'll have to go touch one.

I'm thinking the S50 is indeed all, if not more, that I want without too much skimping, plus it has a larger CCD (beyond the resolution thing) than the other cameras, so image quality may very well be better.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    If it does not have to be pocketable, the Canon G2 is your best bet by far. It's got the best non-pro CCD, the best non-pro lens, manual controls, ability to save raw CCD files, etc... and it is the size of a regular point and shoot 35mm camera. This is a well known and well studied enthusiast camera so there are many accesories, lenz kits, etc available for it. Currently it's around $500 or so.

If it has to be pocketable, the Powershot S400 or canon IXUS 400 (European name). Very good lens, same CCD as G2, DIGIC DSP. You trade some manual controls, and can not save RAW CCD images, but it's fits in a pocket, has 3X optical zoom, takes compact flash, takes pretty good quality 3 minute videos with sound.

I would stay away from S50 because it's CCD sensor is considerably noiser than that of S40/G2/S400.

I would also stay away from A80 as its lenz isn't that great. I would actually go with A70 instead.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I'm undecided to the point where it starts getting physically painful.

Let me ask you: that Powershot S50, how pocketable is it? I'm a bit afraid of its size. Of course, CF makes for great savings, and I might find it for cheap on the net. I guess I'll have to go touch one.

I'm thinking the S50 is indeed all, if not more, that I want without too much skimping, plus it has a larger CCD (beyond the resolution thing) than the other cameras, so image quality may very well be better.

I can assure you that the Canon Powershot S50 is VERY pocketable.

This camera has won Best Buy awards in "Which Digital Camera" magazine, as has its predecessors (S40, S45).

I can't fault its image quality at all (i've even enlarged images to A4 and have seen veerrry little or no pixelation whatsoever).

Go and have a look at one in a store near you, you'll be impressed I'm sure.

For your needs my friend ( good degree of manual control, relatively small, voice recorder, video, dedicated charger system,5M pixels!, etc...) this camera won't disappoint!

"how realistic is my quest for manual controls an a camera the size of an Altoids tin can" .... err, very realistic

Please note: no, I don't work for Canon!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Canon S50s 5 mp photos won't be much sharper than the S45's 4 mp photos, so the question is black or gray...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The Canon S50s 5 mp photos won't be much sharper than the S45's 4 mp photos, so the question is black or gray...

Well, went fiddling with one, and it's too big, particularly in its depth. It's not something I'll be able to put in a pant pocket easily, unless I'd wear decidedly baggy pants, which I don't.

Also, on a vaguely related note: the European versions of the S50 and the S45 are both silver, only you Mericans get black.

I'm slowly veering towards the Minolta again. All in all, I think it's the best deal for me. It's small (it's shape will grow on me, I'm sure), it's 4 MP of (supposedly) good quality, it's affordable and it's fast. One thing Minolta hypes and that is definitely true. Less than a second between opening the lens door and being able to shoot. I swear: you cannot get the camera to your eye as fast as it starts up.

Also take into account that, however high the Euro may be soaring these days, I'd still get to pay 650 euro (812 dollars) for the S50, and 450 euro (562 dollars) for the Minolta. That kinda sucks, especially when you see something like newegg.com offering the latter for $290.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Comparisons and reviews here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php