What only 63 Mill profit? FIRE Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Geez what is this loser doing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I just heard he was hired by the Knicks to be their new head coach..... oh, that was somebody else?
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Geez what is this loser doing?

Honestly, 63 million sucks...FIRE HIM...lol...Apple Employees have mouth's to feed!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Free employee water fountains, jeez, what were they thinking? Employees don't need to drink water, that's profit down the toilet.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Profit is nice, but marketshare would be nice too.

44.6M total personal computers sold last quarter.

829K Macs sold last quarter

Yes, Virginia, that's a 1.86% marketshare.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    For goodness sake:

Profit is not what matters. It does matter, but total revenue is more important, from our perspectives.

Their bank account now holds $4.8 bn, up by $225 million.

Apple are obviously taking their R&D seriously, as they should.

In short, this was a great quarter, and high revenues to low profits probably means that we are going to see some big things coming out in the next year or so. This is a Good Thing?.

Apple is going on all 8 cylinders at the moment, in my opinion. m.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'm curious what kind of marketshare percentage Apple would have if one were to combine the computer numbers with the iPod/portable MP3 player numbers. (I don't know where to look for these statistics, so...)
  • Reply 7 of 47
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    But... iPods are not personal computers...
  • Reply 8 of 47
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    of course, if pc's last 3 years on average instead of 5, you have to replace them more often.

installed user base is more important.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

I would like to see how many of those sales from Apple and the PC market at large are from corporations and how many are to consumers.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by robo

But... iPods are not personal computers...

yeah, but they sold 700k iPods and 800k macs

either way, I'm sure a pretty good percentage of those mac sales were to the installed user base(As mentioned above)

but also institutions and stuff \
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I would like to see how many of those sales from Apple and the PC market at large are from corporations and how many are to consumers.

That shouldn't matter to the software corporations who see the diminishing value of writing software for Macs.

The huge PC growth is overseas however, and US Mac marketshare is just under 3%, so it's not all that bad.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

That shouldn't matter to the software corporations who see the diminishing value of writing software for Macs.

The huge PC growth is overseas however, and US Mac marketshare is just under 3%, so it's not all that bad.

Sure it does. Target market has everything to do with software development. If your company makes products to streamline the logistics of a running multi-national inventories, then the Mac isn't going to get looked at. But if it's a whizz bang plug in for Photoshop there is going to be a Mac version.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think we can take the sales figures positively because honestly the G5 shored up the high end but Apple is still weak on the low-end to mid-range units.

The next iMac needs to be stellar and Apple needs to risk cannibalizing the Powermacs with a decent iMac model. IE a G5 is needed. I'm buying a new Mac this summer so that's at least one sale that's coming.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Sure it should. If I were a games company, for instance, I'd want to know the numbers for home use, since people obviously don't buy games to use in the office.

And what about games? How many pure gamers are buying Macs instead of PCs? You're basically arguing 1.8% vs 2.x% at best.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Sure it does. Target market has everything to do with software development. If your company makes products to streamline the logistics of a running multi-national inventories, then the Mac isn't going to get looked at. But if it's a whizz bang plug in for Photoshop there is going to be a Mac version.

Quarter after quarter, Adobe's % revenue from Mac software has been falling...linearly. At some point it's going to represent a problem to Adobe investors and Adobe itself. Set aside your Apple fanboi-ism for a second. Apple truly needs to do something about marketshare.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Quarter after quarter, Adobe's % revenue from Mac software has been falling...linearly. At some point it's going to represent a problem to Adobe investors and Adobe itself. Set aside your Apple fanboi-ism for a second. Apple truly needs to do something about marketshare.

Because Adobe earns more and more on Acrobat. The Mac share of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign et al is still high.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Because Adobe earns more and more on Acrobat. The Mac share of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign et al is still high.

But shouldn't Acrobat be fairly evenly spread on both platforms? I'm talking PC vs Mac specifically, and not other sources of revenue.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

But shouldn't Acrobat be fairly evenly spread on both platforms?

No. Acrobat is a big seller for office use, and apps like Acrobat Elements is sold with a minimum of 1,000 licenses.

Elements doesn't exist on Mac and isn't needed since PDF creation is built in.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

No. Acrobat is a big seller for office use, and apps like Acrobat Elements is sold with a minimum of 1,000 licenses.

Elements doesn't exist on Mac and isn't needed since PDF creation is built in.

Right, but I said shouldn't and not isn't. Apple's not a big enough market for such a product. That's basically what I've been saying. And as PC shipment growth continues to outpace Mac shipment growth (or complete lack of), the problem just gets bigger.

I don't think OS X's built-in PDF creation abilities are quite on par with what Adobe has to offer to Windows users.

Premiere, Encore, Audition, Photoshop Album...old apps are being dropped and new ones aren't being announced...
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Premiere, Encore, Audition, Photoshop Album...old apps are being dropped and new ones aren't being announced...

Don't you think that these are bad examples to generalize from given iMovie, iDVD, FCP, DVD Studo Pro, Soundtrack, iPhoto?