Question that is probably asked alot: 'bout Panther and FW HD

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to install a boot drive (Panther) with utilities on an external Firewire HD with a 7200rpm disk

I have a dual G4 500

Will this work?

Will it present any problems?

any thoughts about this or related issues would be much appreciated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Anybody got any idea?

once again: booting from a firewire hard drive into Panther . . . . .good idea or not?

will it work or not?

well or not well?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

once again: booting from a firewire hard drive into Panther . . . . .good idea or not?

I would not take the risk, especially if the files in the drive are important. Incidents with Panther nuking Firewire drives concern mostly FW800 drives with non updated firmware. And the hit occurs when booting the machine while the drive is connected to the computer. I don't know though if this applies to the case where the external drive is the startup disk. Quite possible I think.

This Macfixit article (a little old) explains in some detail the issue, and it draws reader's attention to FW400 too, something that is not officially ackowledged.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I've been doing exactly that for a few months now. My brothers use the internal hard disk for whatever they need it for and I have my very own 160 GB hard disk from which my iMac automatically boots if powered up.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I boot Panther off a 120GB FW400 drive, and I have Linux(YDL) installed on the internal drive. I keep all my files on the external drive. While I had more than my fair share of problems in the beginning, it all works now. I have heard horror stories concerning FW800 drives, so its probably not such a great idea to boot off one of those.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    CubeDude,

I have the same setup you have. I installed YDL yesterday, but I have some problems.

1. I don't get any sound when trying to play a CD, the EQ curve is moving, the number of songs is correct, but I get no sound. I got a message once stating that dma-sound driver could not be loaded.

2. When I log out, my computer crashes. I just get a black screen. Do you have any idea what could be causing this ?