AppleWorks 6.2.9! (That much about a new Apple Office Killer App ...)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120213

has AppleWorks updates for X and 9, so far for english versions only.

Would Apple still keep patching AW if an Office Killer would just be around the corner?

I personally think the Apple strategy is not bad. MS does the Office work and do "the rest". What's essential is that Office is available on the Mac so people with compatibility need can buy Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120213

has AppleWorks updates for X and 9, so far for english versions only.

Would Apple still keep patching AW if an Office Killer would just be around the corner?

I personally think the Apple strategy is not bad. MS does the Office work and do "the rest". What's essential is that Office is available on the Mac so people with compatibility need can buy Macs.

But Office just sucks SO INCREDIBLY MUCH it's painful. And AW? That program was a joke 2 YEARS ago. Now it's just pathetic. Something must be done. If I'm using a word processor wrapped in brushed metal because it's the only halfway decent one available, something is dreadfully wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Sigh, AppleWorks never competed with Office and never will. It was Apple's answer to MS Works.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Sigh, AppleWorks never competed with Office and never will. It was Apple's answer to MS Works.

The original AppleWorks was released in 1984. Microsoft Works was released in 1986.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The original AppleWorks was released in 1984. Microsoft Works was released in 1986.

The other way around then
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The other way around then

Has Microsoft ever been first to the table with ANYTHING?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I think they were the first ones to use a nice blue screen when the OS froze. In testing they found this worked much better than the "OMG!" red screen they initially tried!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The update only works for the North American version of AppleWorks 6.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Sigh, AppleWorks never competed with Office and never will. It was Apple's answer to MS Works

Yes, but the current AppleWorks really has nothing to do with the old AppleWorks (for the Apple II). The current AppleWorks is actually ClarisWorks, which was indeed Apple's answer to Microsoft Works. However, at one time ClarisWorks was also conceived of as a viable alternative to MS Office - thus all the rumors of backroom deals for Apple to promote office and let ClarisWorks fade away. If I had any confidence they were true I'd think about lawsuits...

More history at A Brief History of ClarisWorks.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I think they were the first ones to use a nice blue screen when the OS froze.

I think Amigas had that first.

Every time I think of the current Appleworks, I want to bang my head against a wall. That app on my little LC II saved my neck so many times in college, I feel I still owe it my patronage. Well, I feel indebted to hearn and the Claris folks anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Yes, actually. For example, they were the first to make Word and Excel for the Mac. Great software back in the day.

Office for Mac isn't that bad and a lot easier and more reliable than Win Office many times, but it hasn't gotten much money and development since 98 or 2001 it seems. I was hoping the new Office would really scream and be better than Win Office, as Mac Offices usually are until the next few versions of Win Office. It looks more like a Service Release with dumb gimmicks added. It took them this long to add Page Layout to Excel, gee whiz that shouldn't be adverterised as a new fetaure because it's embarassing. Adding feature not found in anything else or at least Win Office like they've been doing would be nice. MacBU does have some smart and innovative people; I think that's the problem. MS is afraid of them and doesn't want Mac Office to look better. I'd bet they've been getting a lot of budget cuts, look at IE Mac for example.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yes, actually. For example, they were the first to make Word and Excel for the Mac. Great software back in the day.

Office for Mac isn't that bad and a lot easier and more reliable than Win Office many times, but it hasn't gotten much money and development since 98 or 2001 it seems. I was hoping the new Office would really scream and be better than Win Office, as Mac Offices usually are until the next few versions of Win Office. It looks more like a Service Release with dumb gimmicks added. It took them this long to add Page Layout to Excel, gee whiz that shouldn't be adverterised as a new fetaure because it's embarassing. Adding feature not found in anything else or at least Win Office like they've been doing would be nice. MacBU does have some smart and innovative people; I think that's the problem. MS is afraid of them and doesn't want Mac Office to look better. I'd bet they've been getting a lot of budget cuts, look at IE Mac for example.

While I agree with you, they still have a fair amount of time to work on Office. I hate MS as much as humanly possible, but only time will tell what their Mac first features are.

Let's just wait and see.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by hearn

Yes, but the current AppleWorks really has nothing to do with the old AppleWorks (for the Apple II). The current AppleWorks is actually ClarisWorks, which was indeed Apple's answer to Microsoft Works.

But both the original AppleWorks and and Microsoft Works were text based, mark-up based word processors, so they were more or less equivalent back in the day.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Yes. Excel ? which was originally for the Mac, like Aquatic stated.

What would really give Office a run for its money, is a free cross-platform mark-up language based suite. Like OSML and ODML, or something similarly made up. m.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Yes. Excel ? which was originally for the Mac, like Aquatic stated.

Wrong! Excel was a rip-off of one of the very first "killer apps": VisiCalc. Microsoft "innovation" at it's best.

From the Wikipedia:

Quote:

VisiCalc was the first spreadsheet program available for personal computers. Indeed it was the "killer app" that turned the microcomputer from a hobby for computer entusiasts into a business tool.

Conceived by Dan Bricklin, refined by Bob Frankston and distributed by Personal Software Inc. in 1979 (laterVisiCorp) for the Apple II computer, it propelled the Apple from being a hobbyist's toy to being a much-desired, useful financial tool for business. This likely motivated IBM to enter the PC market which they had been ignoring until then.

• Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ezzie

The update only works for the North American version of AppleWorks 6.

Go to the download page, there is a link down lower, somewhere, it was mentioned in a thread at MACNN, international version update only though, i think