Guantanamo Detainee Sues Bush for $1Billion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This could be interesting if it is not quashed before hand. If eventually the Bush administration were to be found in the wrong it would open the floodgates.

Salim Gherebi is a detainee at Guantanamo. Last month, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in a case involving his brother that courts can consider petitions filed by detainees because the United States''possesses and exercises all the attributes of sovereignty'' [link] on the base. Salim has now brought his own lawsuit against President Bush and other federal officials, seeking $1.1 billion in damages [link] for violating his consitutional rights. He is represented by Stephen Yagman of Los Angeles.

Since the 9th Circuit decision conflicts with a D.C. appeals court decision ruling [link] the opposite way, the issue may well hit the Supreme Court. If it turns out Guantanamo detainees can sue, perhaps Mr. Gherebi has a case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    i thought you couldn't sue:

the federal government

a sitting president

i could easily be wrong

g
  • Reply 2 of 3
    g. I'm not at all sure, I'll try to find more information. I really can't believe that the Bush administrations lawyers/law makers would allow it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

g. I'm not at all sure, I'll try to find more information. I really can't believe that the Bush administrations lawyers/law makers would allow it.

A relative of mine left this past Monday to go to Gitmo for 8 weeks and interview detainees. I'll get a much better account of how the prisoners are being handled after that. I'm hoping for the best but obviously not expecting it, nor is my relative.