Let us rate topics or even posts with a 5 star system...

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
just like we can do in iTunes. I can see this being a fun and more enjoyable posting experience. Say only the 5,4, and 3 star topics (depending on how many of those you have rated) appear on a page. Or maybe the rating system would not work for the individual but for everyone overall? I like this idea because a topic may not get tons of responses but still be a quality one.

Also, maybe a thread within a thread could be created that houses all of that topic's 5 star posts?

Just a suggestion or two.8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    i give this one 1 star.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i give this one 1 star.

What the hell, thanks for that very "senior member"-like response. But that brings up another point. For each post there could be maybe like 4 different genres of rating to chose from.

Comedy

Interesting

Great Idea

BS
  • Reply 3 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    This seems as worthless as the "AI credits system" that was proposed not too long ago. Doesn't seem like something we need. If you don't want to read crap, than just ignore those who write crap. Not everything has to have a rating. Just my $.02.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Topic rating is built into vBulletin. It's something we could easily turn on.

Whether or not it's a great idea, I'm not sure.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Systems like this exist in slash, which is used on slashdot.org. They use a karma system, but also, their community posts are of a much different nature than AI. I'm not sure we need to introduce that here, especially seeing the potential of abuse of such a system. Slash keeps it controlled through karma and a somewhat complex moderation system...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What I'm afraid of is that people will abuse the rating system with their personal opinions expressed i a thread, not the quality of debate or discussion. I'm thinking specifically of the political AO threads. I don't know how much it hurts though, really. It's for posterity and doesn't affect the thread list or anything else.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

What I'm afraid of is that people will abuse the rating system with their personal opinions expressed i a thread, not the quality of debate or discussion. I'm thinking specifically of the political AO threads. I don't know how much it hurts though, really. It's for posterity and doesn't affect the thread list or anything else.

That's right.

And i will add that in others forums, people will just read or ignore a post just on the sole basis of the rating.

This is sad, considering that sometimes an average poster, can say very interestings things.

The regular members of AI, know perfectly who are reliable or not.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    A friend of mine lives on another 'board where ratings exist. Users mark other users' posts/threads not based on content but on their like/dislike for that individual.

A rating system on a board like this is a Tool of Destruction.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

A friend of mine lives on another 'board where ratings exist. Users mark other users' posts/threads not based on content but on their like/dislike for that individual.

A rating system on a board like this is a Tool of Destruction.

Bingo. I've said it all along, ratings systems are not a good idea at all!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Bingo. I've said it all along, ratings systems are not a good idea at all!

Which is precisely why we have it disabled.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Which is precisely why we have it disabled.

I think you have REALLY have it disabled because you are insecure with your new sweater. I mean, it is not a bad sweater. Don't worry about it...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    That's 8... 8 smokies... they seem to be growing by the day.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

That's 8... 8 smokies... they seem to be growing by the day.

welll, it is really based on how much time I am going to invest in clicking on it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I wonder how many minutes you have waisted with the extra clicking? I would use that time for other things... like a hobby.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I wonder how many minutes you have waisted with the extra clicking? I would use that time for other things... like a hobby.

If they require to me to leave my room, I do not think so... I do have hobbies: my favorite is fearing the future! I would like to think I have hobbies. Right now it is too cold, but probably in three weeks Ultimate Frisbee will be starting up again, so that will be fun to do. I think "Computers" or "Apple Computers" is an appropriate hobby, maybe a lifestyle choice. I do design websites < dco1.com >, which I guess is a kind of a hobby.

but yes. Imagine that the extra clicking is biting away from my life.