spam

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm getting tons of spam to one of email accounts so i'm thinking of deleting it.

my question is, if i start it up again in about a month do you think i'll still get all that spam?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    yes.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I closed one of my addresses down about 2-3 months ago. I had to reopen it, as I needed to get an email through it. Left it open, and the spam poured it... It got closed down again.

Close it, and get a new account. Don't advertise it on the net anywhere (use web-to-mail forms if needed), and don't give it to anyone you don't know. That's been my policy with my new address - no spam yet...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    arghhhhh. i guess i'll close it

i wonder what would happen it i reopened it in a year
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Spam is unavoidable. I have never given my e mail address to anyone other than close friends, family, and a few people on AI, but it still gets spammed. I use a separate "dummy" yahoo account and give that address out on the web or when I sign up for a newsletter or whatnot. My other account, I have no idea how the address gets out there, but it does. I have the filter turned on in mail, I get about 4 pieces of spam a day that are all caught, maybe one piece a month gets through. So even if your e mail address goes dead for a year, it probably won't do much.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Spam is unavoidable because regardless of wether or not you give out your e-mail, your ISP can and does sell it to spamming companies.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yeah i meant to post that this particular email account has never been anywhere except my website, but now i have it protected on it
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Since i've started using safari full time, and a moderate spam blocker set in my msn inbox, it's been very good about blocking spam. I've recieved only 1 spam email in the last 30 days, life is good.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    this girl wrote a fun blog about spam

http://www.livejournal.com/users/amelify/7887.html