Logitech MX 900 Bluetooth mouse and Powerbook

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If anyone on this forum have tried the MX 900 bluetooth mouse with a bluetooth equipped powerbook, could anyone of you answer these:

1. Does it work at all

2. Is it possible to use the mouse without having the "bluetooth hub" activated (its base station), but still having it as a charger (its charging via USB, right ?)

3. Is your experiences good, and worth its money ?

.:BoeManE:.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Anyone? This is a good question, one I'd like to see answered as well.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I like the new Logitech diNovo keyboard and mouse setup.

Linky

Sadly, it looks like it will not work on the MAc.

I saw it at the store and it does not have the Mac centric keys on the keyboard like the MX Duo has.

Seems like Logitech will lose out on some sales.

And I thought they were commited to the Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I knew I had read something about this somewhere.

www.hardmac.com

BTW: Hardmac is a really good site to find this kind of stuff.

Quick precision: it does work. Saves everybody the hassle of actually opening the link...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

2. Is it possible to use the mouse without having the "bluetooth hub" activated (its base station), but still having it as a charger (its charging via USB, right ?)

Good question indeed. Too bad we can't buy them without the hub to save money too.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Re: the whole non-Apple bluetooth mouse market, I just think it's too early. Think about it, there are currenty 2 BT mice available. Logitech's and Microsofts, and even then they seem to have flaky compatibility.

I'm thinking/hoping that in a year the BT mouse selection will be much greater and that they will all be more compatible with Macs. But maybe I'm wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

[/B]

Wrong: it charges via the cradle, but there is a separate power adapter. Setup is just like a Palm Cradle.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So has anyone/can anyone actually test a Logitech with a BT PowerBook? And if they work do all the buttons work automatically or would you need to install their driver? I find it annoying mice need drivers since they almost always cause conflicts (conflicts from a mouse driver wtf!?) And I remember reading that the kernal could support up to 32 mouse buttons so I don't know why they needs drivers for anything more than a wheel and two buttons. I want a BT mouse withOUT its hub and at least 5 buttons for Exposé and the other hoopla!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The shop I was referring to has tried it. I will translate their findings.

We tested the compatibility of the new Logitech MX 900 Bluetooth mouse with Panther. Logitech says that the peripheral is not compatible with MacOS, the included driver only works with Windows.

For standard use, the mouse is indeed incompatible. Plugging in the USB cradle does allow to move the cursor but not to click. None of the buttons have any effect. The mouse does however work if you don't use the included cradle. On a 17" Powerbook equipped with Bluetooth (firmware updated to 1.0.2), the mouse is perfectly recognized (including its name) by the Bluetooth Setup Application.

There are two things to be noted however. First: it's not possible to configure the buttons since Logitech Control Center doesn't recognize the mouse. Let's hope the next version corrects this problem. The normal click, right-click, scroll wheel & navigation buttons located in front of and behind the scroll wheel function as you would expect, but the others have no visible reaction.

Secondly, you will still need the cradle to charge the mouse. Luckily, the cradle does function when not connected to a USB port.

The thumb buttons on the side of the mouse can be used for Exposé if you assign "Button 4" and "Button 5" as activation click.

Original Review

I hope this will be of some assistance to you guys.

Knappa
  • Reply 9 of 11
    get a logitech mx700 ...it rocks

& a lot cheaper than the mx900
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

get a logitech mx700 ...it rocks

& a lot cheaper than the mx900

Yeah, it is cheaper, and its NOT Bluetooth. If we're looking for cheap, I can get a Kensignton mouse for about $19.99, which is even cheaper than your MX700

Anyhoo, it would be nice if someone here were the guinea-pig and gambled on one of these (albeit, from a store that it could be returned to) so we can find out how it tracks. I've heard that some mice, purely anecdotal, do not track at their full resolution, e.g. 800 dpi, without their associated driver. So while it would be nice that the MX900 works, if it works poorly, or equivelant to a $20 mouse, then personally I'd probably hold off for some future mouse.

I'd volunteer for the guinea-pig, but I already did my tour by activating Filevault the day 10.3 came out and becoming the warning beacon to many others to steer clear of it
  • Reply 11 of 11
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I like the new Logitech diNovo keyboard and mouse setup.

Linky

Sadly, it looks like it will not work on the MAc.

I saw it at the store and it does not have the Mac centric keys on the keyboard like the MX Duo has.

Seems like Logitech will lose out on some sales.

And I thought they were commited to the Mac.

I totally wish this worked on the Mac. I would get that combo in a heartbeat.