i am very stupid---CD-RW help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok, i am risking looking like a complete fool here...but here goes

i have never burned CD-RWs before on my iMac...we have a few here at work and whenever i burn one on the iMac here it takes the availble space to 0KB and locks the disc...if i try to re-write the file it won't let me modify the disc...what am i doing wrong...i am tried of taking 30 mb files and moving them from computer to computer and wasting a whole disc (even if they are only 30 cents)...

nero burning on the pc here works fine with re-writing these discs, but the mac won't re-write them...is this not a function the macs have natively and so i have to load a separate program?/

thanks

your idiot

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you just have to erase the disk each time you want to re-write it... this is the only way that I know how to do it using apple's software...

just take what you want off the drive and then erase the disk with disk utility

you should have the whole disk free after that...

if you want to burn a "multi-session" disk you need to use toast and when in preferences uncheck the "close disk" option...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    thanks...a bit of a pain, but it does clear the disk...

i have toast at home

perhaps i should get a copy for work too

g
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    You can also burn sessions using Disk Utility. I'd give specifics but I don't feel qualified to be giving support advice (see my thread above)

Another Idiot
  • Reply 4 of 5
    See if this Apple tech note might be related to your quandry:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107240
  • Reply 5 of 5
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I'd suggest burning in sessions, which works perfectly fine for just plain old cd-r type discs.

To me cd-rw disc for the price are a waste, when cd-r are so cheap. I guess it depends on what you need them for, but to me burning sessions is simple, and helps not waste space.

The only bad thing with sessions is they tend to show up as each being a seperate disc on the desktop. With cd-r with mutiple burns you may have 50 icons on the desktop, so naming sessions is important.