Dead pixel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I just recieved my PowerBook in the mail today. Couldn't be happier. But when I opened it up there was a dead pixel right around the center of the monitor. I realize it's a bit picky, but how many dead pixels do there have to be before you can send it back. I just hate the fact that I paid so much for it and there is a dead pixel. Thanks everyone.

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Apple will bite if there is ~five but if you bitch and bitch (and bitch) you might be able to get away with two or three.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    You may have better luck with Apple because your dead pixel is in the middle of the screen; I've heard anecdotal evidence that two inches from any edge is the cutoff.

Incidentally, if the pixel is dead (black) there's nothing you can do except appeal to Apple. If it is stuck (stays red, blue or green) you can sometimes bring it back to life by gently massaging it with a soft cloth.

good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Fawkes,

I have never heard of being able to bring a pixel back. In that case it is not dead, it is stuck on blue. So should I shut down and massage it, or leave it on? Great tip. Thanks.

Brian
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCmac32

Fawkes,

I have never heard of being able to bring a pixel back. In that case it is not dead, it is stuck on blue. So should I shut down and massage it, or leave it on? Great tip. Thanks.

Brian

DCmac32: With the screen on, take a soft cloth and *gently* massage the pixel--little circles. Keep it up for a few minutes, and if there's no luck by then, it's time to call Apple. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Fawkes you are a genius. It was weird, before I tried massaging the screen, the pixel was flickering. I guess it was trying to work, after I massaged it, it started working and I am going to keep my fingers crossed, but it seems to be just fine. Thanks again. The mac community is awesome. Peace.

Brian
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Glad to hear that it worked for you! I've heard of this problem coming and going, or going for good. I had a stuck pixel when I first got my PowerBook, and it hasn't reared its ugly head since I massaged it away; I wish you the same luck.

Enjoy your PowerBook!