iPod, iPod mini, Apple stickers, etc.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just thinking about this a bit today. As far as I know, the iPod doesn't come with those white Apple stickers that we get in the box with a new Mac, right?

I think they should.

Over the past few years, I've had several parking lot conversations brought on strictly by someone walking by, seeing me get out of my car, seeing my Apple sticker and commenting on it. Either from a "hey, one of the gang!" type of thing, OR (more fun and interesting) a non-Mac user toying with the idea of switching or simply wanting to know something and asking a question or two about Macs. It actually happened to me A LOT in SoCal (I guess I look "safe" or approachable). It's happened to me back here too, probably 3 or 4 times.

And there have been times, on the road or in traffic, where I'll be next to a car and THEY'LL have a sticker and then they manage to see mine and there's just a brief knowing nod, as if to say "yeah, you get it...cool".

Anyway, my point: with all these iPods being sold AND with people obviously digging them AND with people certainly not opposed to adorning their cars with stickers, decals, graphics, etc. of all kinds, I think Apple should include one regular-sized white Apple sticker in every iPod. It's cheap, free advertising, people like promoting things they're into or dig, etc.

No downside whatsoever.

And, oh yeah: as for the iPod minis, I think Apple would be completely lame and simply passing up a good thing if they didn't include - in the iPod mini box - a smaller version (get it?), maybe the size of a silver dollar or so, of the Apple logo...in the color of that person's iPod mini choice (blue, pink, etc.).

Buy a green iPod mini, you get a little green Apple logo sticker to put in your window.

Again, spreads the brotherhood, promotes the best music product out there, could act as conversation starters for some, evangelism opportunities for others, etc.

There is no downside to this. And no reason it couldn't/shouldn't be done. Before anyone chimes in here to tell me otherwise, stop and simply consider the REAL WORLD for one second...if you bought a cool-ass iPod and really dug it, why wouldn't you? Yuppies put stickers on their car. Old people, young people. Rednecks do. The Birkenstock Brigade certainly does. The skater crowd is fond of them. Musicians and college students usually don't seem against the idea (stroll through a high school or college parking lot sometime if you disagree).

In other words, it's not some freaky, unheard-of practice, so spare me in advance.

Please don't trot out the "that's not Apple's style..." argument, since, yes, they DO. Just not with the iPods (at least that I'm aware of).

Anyway...just thinking of cheap, effortless methods to perhaps makes Apple's presence a bit more known, with Apple hardly having to lift a finger or make an expensive commercial that's probably going to suck anyway.

Stickers.

I'd like to see the iPod mini ones in the color of the iPods, with a slight metallic look, kinda like the Apple logo you see in the Panther "About this Mac" info box. Just tinted blue, green, pink, gold and silver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I couldnt agree more, its one of those "well, why not its worth a shot" things.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Good idea. If Apple doesn't do it, maybe we can get murbot's undoubtedly HUGE collection of stickers and distribute them ourselves.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    AFAIK the stickers aren't even included anymore...

at least I didn't get one with my powerbook (well it was a refreshed machine) and my roommate who recently got a 12"er didn't get a sticker either (or maybe he did and didn't tell me...)

the point is... where can I get some more apple stickers!?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, to me it's a total no-brainer! Imagine how many there could be floating around out there by this summer? You'll have the minis shipping, probably updated full-size models by then. That Pepsi promo will have done its thing and be fresh in everyone's mind. The iTMS will, no doubt, be even larger and more song-packed, etc. Positive and frequent press coverage will probably still be going our way, regarding the iPod and all, etc.

They include the large white ones in all the other hardware. The iPod, it appears, is becoming - like the jellybean iMac 3 or so years ago - the new symbol for Apple. It's THE thing to own.

I just can't imagine people opening their new iPod up (either type), seeing a nice looking decal in the box and NOT putting it on their car or whatever IMMEDIATELY.

Hell, my friend (the one with the iBook) wasn't even a big Apple or Mac person (she's getting there now), but she stuck that white sticker on her Jetta within a couple of days of owning her iBook. And that was with NO provocation from me whatsoever.

She just has good taste and sense.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul AFAIK the stickers aren't even included anymore...

at least I didn't get one with my powerbook (well it was a refreshed machine) and my roommate who recently got a 12"er didn't get a sticker either (or maybe he did and didn't tell me...)

Well then, this seems like a good time to start it back up again, doesn't it?

Quote:

Probably at redlightrunner.com, for about $4,000 each
  • Reply 6 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Paul, I've got some extra someplace. If you want a couple, I'm sure I could dig them up.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

AFAIK the stickers aren't even included anymore...

They still come in the manual packet.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Very nice idea... I already sent it to the iPod feedback page... if that helps, anyway, at redlightrunner.com they are about $4 each... I got some with my G5 and someone I know just got an eMac and they were in there too..
  • Reply 9 of 22
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I remember when i went to One Infinite Loop, and I got a stick that was at the front desk, and it was a static stick, so you could put it on the inside of your car, and it would stick using STATIC ELECTRICITY. There was a number on the paper part of the sticker thing to call and get more, I don't remember it though.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Okay, I was off by $3,996. Sue me.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I remember when i went to One Infinite Loop, and I got a stick that was at the front desk, and it was a static stick, so you could put it on the inside of your car, and it would stick using STATIC ELECTRICITY. There was a number on the paper part of the sticker thing to call and get more, I don't remember it though.

find that number!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Okay, I was off by $3,996. Sue me.

• Reply 12 of 22
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Paul, I've got some extra someplace. If you want a couple, I'm sure I could dig them up.

nah, I have 2 (from my brother's iMac DV SE 1999) but I thought I had more... I have yet to put it on the car tho... soon...

thanks anyway
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't think I got any with my new 1.25Ghz 15" Albook, but I'll have to check the packet again.

• Reply 14 of 22
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Think of all the stickers Virgina Tech got with all those G5s
  • Reply 15 of 22
    World's Largest Sticker Cluster, at 2,200.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

World's Largest Sticker Cluster, at 2,200.

woah... that is one sweet setup also the fact that it would cost you $8690 if you bought them from redlightrunner.com individually.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    It is a brotherhood. Between the Apple sticker, the Packers window-hangy-thingy, and the fact that I drive a Volvo, I get more "knowing" nods and "Keep it real"s than should be healthy for someone my age. Panther should have come with a chrome Apple or something, cuz my white Apple sticker is getting faded. Crazy Apple...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    wow.. this sticker conversation is almost the number one discussion going on here at AI...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

...my white Apple sticker is getting faded.

And what does white look like when it fades?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I don't think I got any with my new 1.25Ghz 15" Albook, but I'll have to check the packet again.

They definitely should be there: I got them with both of the 2 Macs I've bought over since September. Mind you, they now give you less stickers than before: these sheets with the nice white stickers are probably about half the size of some of the old colourful sticker sheets I have from days gone by.