IBM will produce 65 nm in 2005

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to teambox.com IBM will produce 65 nm powerPC chips for Sony in 12 to 18 months. IBM have already send samples to sony.

As cesar mentionned in this article, IBM is the first companie to have shipped a 90 nm CPU (within the Xserve G5).

The article pointed out, that IBM probabily win the contract with Microsoft, because of a better product, and not for other weird reasons.

It seems that Apple has choose the right chip supplier ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    PB G5 in 2005??

sorry couldn't resist...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

PB G5 in 2005??

sorry couldn't resist...

Quite possible though... I highly doubt the current 90nm G5 would find its way to the Powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

PB G5 in 2005??

sorry couldn't resist...

I will not resist either to a powerbook G5 3 ghz on 65 nm ...
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Quite possible though... I highly doubt the current 90nm G5 would find its way to the Powerbook.

oh come on... look at the xserve... its almost laptop size... i have faith in apple. 90nm g5 pb by end of year if not before (i'm hoping for october-ish.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

oh come on... look at the xserve... its almost laptop size... i have faith in apple.

Keep in mind that the distance between "almost laptop size" to "exactly laptop size" can be of critical importance. It is not a question of having faith to Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

oh come on... look at the xserve... its almost laptop size... i have faith in apple. 90nm g5 pb by end of year if not before (i'm hoping for october-ish.

the 90 nm G5 is certainly not more hungry than a mobile athlon 64. Perhaps IBM will produce a low voltage version of the G5 90 nm.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Keep in mind that the distance between "almost laptop size" to "exactly laptop size" can be of critical importance.

Keep in mind that the Xserve has two processors, two drive bays, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by crayz

Thanks, I forgot that . The problem is not to put the G5 in the Powerbook (this is possible with a low frequency G5 even at 130 nm), the problem is to do it without compromising current power consumption features.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Thanks, I forgot that . The problem is not to put the G5 in the Powerbook (this is possible with a low frequency G5 even at 130 nm), the problem is to do it without compromising current power consumption features.

Yes the problem is to not compromise the slim case of the actual powerbooks. I am not interested in a G5 powerbook if he is designed like a PC laptop (althought there are slim ones)
  • Reply 10 of 25
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    also, how many fans in an xServe? also, have to add a lcd screen on a laptop...also, how much does an xServe weigh....you could do a G5 laptop that weighs about 10 pounds...i just don't see apple making a laptop over 5-6 pounds ever

g
  • Reply 11 of 25
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Team XBox?

Anyways, I believe the Sony chip reffered to is the "Cell" chip.

It is indeed suppose to be manufactured at 65nm.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    If IBM is working on 65nm... this is great news indeed! I can see the next generation of PPC chips starting at 90nm and then moving to 65 nm within a year!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Keep in mind that the distance between "almost laptop size" to "exactly laptop size" can be of critical importance.

Keep in mind too that the Xserve is ABSOLUTELY ****ING MASSIVE.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

If IBM is working on 65nm... this is great news indeed! I can see the next generation of PPC chips starting at 90nm and then moving to 65 nm within a year!

But when will IBM move to -200million nanometers? I absolutely won't buy a mac until IBM designs a chip that breaks all laws of quantum physics
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    -200 million nm??? Hmm maybe once we create a warp drive? We have to beat the Chinese to it first!!!
  • Reply 16 of 25
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

-200 million nm??? Hmm maybe once we create a warp drive? We have to beat the Chinese to it first!!!

Ah China! The new USSR!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Here's a dual G5 {with 2 drive "bays") that is smaller than laptop size:

• Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

What are exactly its physical dimensions and weight?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

[B]Keep in mind that the Xserve has two processors, two drive bays, etc.

Keep in mind it's also well over 600mm long, 45mm thick and 450mm wide - in volume it probably makes over four 380mm PowerBooks.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

IBM?s specs say it weighs 5.5kg ? it's also a 19" (465mm) rackmount device, and that's the short side, the height is 1U which is 1.75".

I'd estimate that it is around 600mm deep.

What kind of laptop do you have?