New Product!!! I just ordered...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yeah, so evenone has the hype and for a second are extremely stoked that they got the "NEW _______" !!!

But my Questions is how many of you after purchasing realized that you should have waited a month or two after product release to get the item due to problems and complications?

Example: I ordered a 15" Powerbook the day it was announced in September... Yes its a great computer, but with a bunch of white spots, defective latch, and other minor inconviences!

Example 2: I traded in my powerbook and got the G4 iBook the day it was released, and had logic board problems...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-Thus hesitant in buying the very 1st New Product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I think in both instances it may have to do with the fact that Apple changed manufacturers/assemblers of both products. Also, the 15" Powerbook had a new screen from a source different then the previous one if I remember correctly. Unfortunate, but it happens.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Interesting thread, but it do not belong to FH : move it to GD
  • Reply 3 of 10
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Should have gotten the 1Ghz 12" Powerbook in the first place. =) And in the second place. o_O

Seriously.. WHY in the hell would you get an IBook G4 over the 12" Powerbook when you are coming from a 15" AlBook?

Kind of ridiculous.

- Xidius
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I got one of the first Pismos off the assembly line. These early units had a serious flaw that caused the trackpad button to be activated merely by resting your palms on the palm rest. I called Apple and they repaired it with Rev B parts in just a few days.

I was really bummed for a few days, but once I got my computer back, better than new, I felt good again. Still use it every day!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Example: I ordered a 15" Powerbook the day it was announced in September... Yes its a great computer, but with a bunch of white spots, defective latch, and other minor inconviences!

Example 2: I traded in my powerbook and got the G4 iBook the day it was released, and had logic board problems...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-Thus hesitant in buying the very 1st New Product.

I bought the 15inch the day it came out and had all of those issues. However, none of them were too severe that I couldn't wait a couple months until Apple figured out the problem. When they did, I sent it in and it was fixed with a total of a 3 day turn around including shipping times.

Now I have a perfect 15 inch Powerbook that I hope to use for at least another 3 years.

Lesson: It is always better to wait for rev. B, but if you NEED a computer at a particular time, buy the brand new one and have faith that Apple will stand behind their product and fix it for you if there are problems.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    My rev. A iMac G4 has been flawless. The G4 in my closet never had a problem (Well unless you call the "speed dump" a problem, then I'd say it was fatally flawed). I did have (still do) have hard drive issues with my Rev A iMac (Bondi Blue baby), had to replace it about a year after I got it, gonna have to go get another soon.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    i never buy a product in Rev. A, i always wait...that's partly cuz i don't have the bling bling, and also cuz they normally have problems
  • Reply 8 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

My rev. A iMac G4 has been flawless. The G4 in my closet never had a problem (Well unless you call the "speed dump" a problem, then I'd say it was fatally flawed). I did have (still do) have hard drive issues with my Rev A iMac (Bondi Blue baby), had to replace it about a year after I got it, gonna have to go get another soon.

It seems the Rev A iMacs were pretty flawless all-around. My fiancee has had her's since early '02 with no trouble. This is certainly non-apple to have a good rev. 1
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I got a TiBook pretty much the day they landed in the UK and it's been hoiked for long distances in a bag with no padding since then. It's missing a bit of paint from one of the hinges, but I really can't see why this is a problem- I've used it very hard. It's paint.

I have to use a coin to help CDs out of the drive, but that's my fault since I dropped it in the British Library about a year and a half ago: can't blame Apple for that. Screen's fine and all and it's still beautiful to me.

I got an iPod pretty much the day that they landed in the UK too, and after about six months it held a 20min charge. Apple sent me a new one in about ten days, so again I can't really grumble. This might also have been my fault because I was really insistent on draining it before I recharged it, which apparently isn't the best way with lithium ion batteries, it might have been the notorious firmware problem, now fixed, or it might quite simply have been a lemon.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Oh. And my ex-girlfriend has a Rev a bondi blue iMac Panthered up to the nines and broadcasting iTunes to the whole house. The hardware's never, ever given her any stress. Since she got OSX on it she only turns the thing off to move it.