iDVD 4 installs/runs on less than G4 733

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Playing with iLife '04, and it completely installed on my B&W with a G4/450, and a Radeon 7000.

DVD4 launches and runs, albeit somewhat slowly, on this rig. I haven't really tried a project yet, but since 90% of my iDVD use is to hit "burn" and let it run overnight, I'm not too concerned about performance issues.

I had been worried that the "G4-733" requirement on the box was a hard limit that would prevent installation or launching the program with a CPU < G4 733.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    What exactly is your set up and how did you get it to burn? I thought iDVD does not record on non standard DVD-R drives?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

What exactly is your set up and how did you get it to burn? I thought iDVD does not record on non standard DVD-R drives?

Yeah, I was disappointed to see that not only does it not burn on anything other than official Apple configurations (my firewire DVD-R shows up as "Disc burning: Apple Supported/Shipped" but iDVD's "Burn" menu option remains ghosted and I get the warning when I start it) but it doesn't allow you to do that thing where you can create a VIDEO_TS directory (which would be a workaround at least.)

I assume the hacks to enable the burn menu will appear in time... I frickin' well hope so anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I have a Pioneer DVR-106 installed, set as master as the sole device on the internal IDE bus. I also have a Sonnet TempoTrio in the machine, with two 80 gig, 8 MB buffer, hard drives installed.

OS is 10.3.2

The DVR-106 is, as you know, is natively supported by iTunes and the OS Finder Burn since 10.2.8. I've burned several DVD data discs from the Finder, as well as CD-R data and audio from the Finder and iTunes.

Using iDVD 3 was no problem, either, before iLife '04.